.the story of the orphan

MARGARET BROWN sat on her new bed

It wasn't anything expensive or extraordinary, but she grew fond of it. It was better than the one at the orphanage. The room around her was almost empty of furniture or any personal belongings, which she liked because that meant she could decorate it to her personal taste. Walking around the room,she took her small suitcase and started unpacking it, neatly folding and stacking her clothes in a small closet next to her bed. While she took care of the rest of her belongings,she thought about how she ended up here, at the Cuthberts' home.

"Hey, Margaret. Did you hear about the family that's coming to our orphanage? Miss Jane said that they'll be adopting a child!" Anne squealed excitedly while bouncing on the blonde's bed.

Never lifting her gaze from her book, Margaret approached Anne and sat her down on the bed,fixing the sheets.

"That's great news Anne,but I just made my bed ,and please take off your shoes before you decide to violently jump on it." laughing,she laid her book on the bedside table and took off the redhead's shoes.

"Maybe this time they'll adopt me." Anne looked out the window longingly ,before her sad gaze moved to the girl in front of her. "Maybe they'll adopt you!" the smile from Margaret's face faltered as she put Anne's boots under her bed. Returning back to her book ,she sprawled herself next to her best friend.

"I don't really think they will, Anne." without a hint of emotion in her voice,she silently flipped the next page.

"Oh come on,Margaret! You cannot possibly be serious! Why don't you have a little bit, just a bean size of faith!"

"I don't like beans."

After a moment of silence, laughter soon filled the room. Anne even laughed so hard she fell of the bed. When she got up,she saw a carriage nearing the orphanage and gasped.

"Goodness,it is true! They're here!" she snatched the book out of her friend's hand,earning a small complaint, before rushing out the door, hand in hand with Margaret. Taking the steps down two at a time, she tripped on her socks and fell, causing the blonde to fall over her. Again, laughter filled the room around them until-

"Hm!" Mrs. Jane, also known as the owner of the orphanage, coughed when she saw the two girls, rolling her eyes in annoyance.

In front of her were two people,a man and a woman. Both looked at the girls who were still laying on the staircase floor, smiling at their clumsiness.

"Mr and Mrs Cuthbert, these horrid girls are Anne and Margaret. Do not pay attention to them, let me escort you to the boys' rooms."

Dissappointment was written all over the redhead's face as Mrs Jane led the couple towards the boys' rooms, her head dropping as the blonde stood up, dusting her dress off before extending a helping hand to her friend.

"You shouldn't hold on to hope, Anne." Margaret sighed, "The chances of us getting adopted are as high as the chances of pigs flying." she gave a silly comparison, but the redhead didn't smile.

She walked off to her room silently, leaving the blonde alone, to sit on the stairs and wait for Mrs Jane to finally scold her.

Margaret still couldn't believe that the Cuthberts actually adopted them. She didn't know why, but the once cold-hearted Marilla seemed to develop a soft spot for the two girls. "Well, I guess Anne was right." finally finishing her unpacking, Margaret opened the door to her room and going downstairs, mumbling a low "as always..."

When she came down she was greeted with a young boy eating at the dining table, besides him was Anne and what looked like a piece of bread in her hands.

"Good day, may I ask for your name?" he asked as approached him, she stuck her hand out, which he willingly took.

"I'm Margaret. Margaret Brown."

With a firm grip, he answered, "Pardon my manners m'lady. I'm Jerry. Jerry Baynard, but everyone usually calls me the stall boy." they laughed together Margaret took a seat opposite the two, Anne giving her half of her bread.

"Good afternoon, girls! Oh, and Jerry, dear. How are you?" Marilla came in, carrying what looked like a piece of clothing in her arms,and some books.

Marilla is a kind woman, always caring and a true motherly figure. That's why Anne and Margaret adored her.

"I brought you some clothes and books which you will need for your first day of school tomorrow." with an exciting squeal, both the girls hugged Marilla and thankfully took the gifts.

"Thank you so very much Marilla, these extraordinary gifts and your grand kindness will never be forgotten!" Anne excitedly jumped around,her red braids flying around her. Surprised by her use of words, Marilla offered her a shocked smile.

"She likes to use big words." Margaret informed her with a toothy grin.

Finally they could get a chance to be happy and find real friends.And what better day for friend making is than the first day of school?