.the lost girl

IT WAS a chilly Sunday morning

IT WAS a chilly Sunday morning. Even though the school wasn't working today, Gilbert was up early, helping his father around in the house.

"You know son,I can do things by myself." with a chuckle, the old man threw some woods in the fireplace, blowing some air. After a few minutes, a flame ignited, slowly warming up the cold house.

"I know dad. But you're supposed to take care of yourself. Don't overwork." putting on his hat and scarf, Gilbert took his bag that was hanging next to his coat.

"I need to go and take some pies from the Cuthberts. Marilla makes really good apple pies. I know you like them."

Dismissing him with his hand, Mr Blythe sat near the fireplace, newspaper in his hands
"Go, and tell Matthew I said hello."

"Will do. Goodbye dad."

.
.
.

The walk through the forest was silent, and Gilbert was struggling to find his way to the Cuthberts because of the fog that formed around the trees.

"Great. Just. Great." sitting down and leaning on a tree, he took out a piece of bread from his bag. Just as he was about to eat it, he heard a rustle not too far away, and a sound of a girl...screaming?

Quickly getting up to his feet, he followed the sound, walking fast untill he spotted a small figure limping towards him.

"Hey! Miss!" worriedly rushing to her aid, he shouted "Are you okay?"

Finally getting closer, he took a good long look at her dark brown hair before his eyes met her baby blue ones. She was wearing a white long-sleeved shirt and.. pants?

"Are you alright?" reaching out to touch her arm, he noticed that she was shivering.

"What's-" his sentence was cut off with a loud bang that echoed around the forest.

"Quick, we have to hide." whispering, she took his hand in hers and ran deeper into the forest, reaching the lake at the end of the road.

"Oh,great." with a frustrated sigh, she ran her hand trough her messy hair, the other hand still holding Gilbert's.

"We have to hide. Right now. Or he'll kill both of us." her voice was scratchy, but soft at the same time. It was almost ..gentle.

"Why?Who will kill us? Who are you running from?" a confused look was plastered on Gilbert's face as he let the girl guide him around the lake and into the bushes.

"My stepfather. He's completely out of his mind!" finally settling in between bushes, she sighed, letting go of his hand.

"Hey. You look very familiar." she got closer to him to take a better look at his face and he found himself blushing at the closeness.

'What is up with this girl?'

"Um, I don't think so. I don-I don't know you." turning around so he wasn't facing her, he chuckled to cover up his embarrassment. "Uh-what-what's your name?"