.you did what?

THE NEXT FEW days went by pretty quick, and all the kids were excited for the lake picnic they were having Friday after school

THE NEXT FEW days went by pretty quick, and all the kids were excited for the lake picnic they were having Friday after school. Mr. Phillips was explaining something to Prissy Andrews while the others silently talked among each other.

"My father bought me the newest swimwear, it's so pretty. I can't wait for you to see it!" Josie's bragging really irritated Margaret, and she tried not to pay attention to the sad look on Anne's face. Poor Anne. She doesn't even have a swimsuit.

'Neither do you' thinking to herself, Margaret didn't hear when Diana called her.

"Hey! Hello! Margaret!" finally getting out of her trance, Margaret turned to the blue eyed girl and gave her a smile.

"Yes, Diana?"

"I was wondering if you would mind Anne walking home with me today?" giving the blonde a smile, Diana looked between Anne and Margaret.

Margaret really liked Diana. She was kind, smart and incredibly good looking. She always said what was on her mind and always defended her friends.

"Of course, Diana. Why on earth would I mind? Besides, I'm walking home with Gilbert and Ruby." winking at the girl, she nudged her and they both started laughing.

"Hey, Ruby!" standing up, Margaret walked in the direction of the small girl, who was accompanied by Josie and Tillie. As soon as her eyes landed on Margaret, Josie scoffed.

"Excuse me, but don't you see we're having a conversation? And you're interrupting." the girl spat, giving Margaret a nasty look.

"Sorry to disappoint Josie, but you seem to be having a conversation with yourself, because you're the only one talking here. I suggest you have a good talk with a psychiatrist. I mean, I'm sure your family could afford one." smiling, she wrapped an arm around Ruby's shoulders, and walked away from a shocked Josie and a giggly Tillie.

"You really don't want to get on Josie's bad side,you know?" Ruby silently said, with an amused smile on her face.

"Oh,please. That girl is just talk. Marilla likes to call people like that dogs that bark,but don't bite. Anyways, I wanted to ask you if you would like to accompany me and Gilbert for a walk home after school?"

When mentioned the boy's name,Ruby suddenly had a strange look on her face, which left Margaret shocked.

"What's the matter?" now standing in front of her, Margaret scanned her face, clearly confused. The girl adored Gilbert. What could possibly make her think differently?

"Um, thank you Margaret, but I'll have to pass." giving someone behind a quick glance, Ruby offered Margaret a nervous smile and a pat on the back, returning to Josie and Tilly.

'What in the hell was that?' thinking to herself, Margaret felt a pair of eyes watching her from behind, and turned around only to bump into someone.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't-"

"No worries." Gilbert.

"Hey! Just the person I needed!" grabbing a fistful of his sweater and taking him towards the door, Margaret was still confused about the whole situation.

"We need to talk. What happened with Ruby?" pointing at the small girl, she gave him a questioning look, tilting her head to the side." She was head over heels for you, but now she seems...weird!" waving her arms around, she whisper-shouted.

"I'll tell you later. If you let me walk you home." smirking, he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Oh, and now you're blackmailing me? How will I ever get rid of you!" she threw her head back and put her hand on her forehead, exaggerating the sigh that escaped her mouth.

When her eyes met his, both of them bursted into laughter, untill Mr. Phillips ordered everyone to sit down.

.
.
.

"So? About Ruby..." Margaret was walking down the road, her coat was loosely hung over her shoulders and her scarf was so long it touched the ground when she walked.

"Okay, so. Don't freak out. I might or might have not..." he took a step away from the blonde, as if he was scared, and chuckled nervously "-told Ruby.. that Charlie likes her."

Stopping in her tracks, Margaret glared at the boy with slight surprise on her face. "Charlie likes Ruby?"

"Well...no. But-"

"Gilbert!"

"I'm sorry! I really don't feel that way! Besides, Charlie always said she was cute or something. She'll get over it, trust me!" lifting his arms up in defense,he sighed when she gave him a grin and started walking again.

"Where's Lily? She didn't come to school today."

As soon as the words left her mouth, Gilbert felt sadness overcome his whole body.

"She went home." sighing,he continued "Her stepdad found out her whereabouts and threatened to sue my father for kidnapping. I couldn't let that happen."

"I'm sorry. She really grew on Anne." Margaret thought about how sad Anne would be when she hears.

"Yeah, I know. She really liked Anne too."

When a few minutes of silence passed, Gilbert decided to speak.

"So.. You going to that picnic tomorrow?"

Nodding her head,Margaret fixed her scarf
"Yep, what about you?"

"I guess I could go. Only if you'll be there." closing the distance between them, he nudged her shoulder with his. When they finally reached the Cuthbert farm, they stopped in their tracks.

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" smiling, she put a fallen piece of hair behind her ear.

"Oh, of course m'lady." taking her hand in his, he gave it a firm kiss, causing the blonde to blush, but quickly cover it with a scoff, removing her hand from his.

"Good day, sir!" laughing, she opened the fence and entered the yard.

"Oh,you'll warm up to me eventually!" putting his hands around his mouth, he shouted.

Before entering the house, Margaret laughed and responded

"In your dreams, Blythe!"