.birthday blues

THE COLD, CHILLY AIR bit on the redhead's nose and cheeks as she strode behind the barn boy, her black, dirt-covered boots stepping on the fallen, dry leaves, resulting in a pleasant crunch that formed under her feet

Margaret waited in front of the barn, a big, brown carton box in her arms as she waited for the boy to unlock the door. Matthew and Marrilla were away for a day, Anne was visiting Lily at the Blythe household, which left Margaret and Jerry to clean the barn; as ordered by Matthew.

Though Margaret never liked to clean the barn, today she was especially pissed about it. Why?

Well, today is Margaret's birthday. An event that everybody seemed to forget as they all went about their own business. Of course, being the stubborn girl she is, Margaret kept her mouth shut, silently glooming around the whole day.

"Could you possibly take any longer?" the girl complained, "You're taking forever, seriously!" she scolded him, causing the boy to roll his eyes, exasperated.

"Well, it's not my fault!" Jerry shouted as he pulled on the keychain consisting of multiple, same-looking keys.

"After all this time, you don't know how to differ the keys?" Margaret asked, though it sounded more like a fact, a big smile forming on her face as she rolled her eyes at the boy playfully. "Oh, move over!"

Margaret shoved him aside, pushing the heavy box in his arms as she snatched the keys from his cold hand. She picked out one key, hoping that it's the right one. Otherwise, they'd have to try every single one until the right key is found.

"Observe." she confidently said, waving the key in the air before shoving it into the lock, hearing a small clank. The girl bit her lip as she turned towards Jerry, a shocked look on his face.

"You did not just-" he started, his mouth wide open as Margaret pulled the key out of the lock. Well... half of it. "You-you.." Jerry muttered, placing the box on the floor before walking up to the lock, examining the broken piece of the key that stood inside the lock, stuck.

"Merde, Matthew va me tuer!" he yelled out something in french that Margaret couldn't really seem to understand quite well. Something about Matthew, that's for sure.

"Jerry, I'm so sorry! I'll fix it, I promise!" Margaret assured, pushing Jerry aside once again, leaning her head to the side to inspect the lock.

"Je suis mort! Mort, comprenez tu?" Jerry rambled, "Tu stupide fille!" that one, Margaret understood clearly.

"Stupid?" she shouted at him, "I just wanted to help!" she raised her arms in the air, waving them around dramatically before letting them fall to her sides.

"Well don't help, then! Bon Dieu." Jerry muttered, gripping the lock with both of his hands before pulling on it, the chains rattling, but not budging. Margaret sighed as she walked over so she was behind Jerry, hugging his waist as she pulled him back, his hands still gripping the lock firmly.