.not talking to you

"OPEN YOUR BOOKS,today we're going trough Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet!"Mr Phillips wanders around the classroom,his eyes finally settling on Anne

Mr Phillips wanders around the classroom,his eyes finally settling on Anne.

"You.New girl. Start." Anne gets up and takes a deep breath.

"Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.From forth the fatal loins of these two foes,A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;Whose misadventured piteous overthrows!Do with their death bury their parents' strife.The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love," waving her hands around like she's in some kind of a play, Anne continues to read. Margaret didn't really pay attention to what was Anne speaking untill she accidentally slapped her forehead.

"Ow! Anne!" she said it a bit too loud, and now everyone was staring at her. Great.

"Sorry." mumbling,she hung her head low, the details on her dress now becoming very interesting.

"Alright,alright ,enough!" the teacher stopped Anne before she could poke someone's eye out and she sat down.

"Brown,continue." Margaret took her book in her hands and started reading.

"Here were the servants of your adversary,
And yours, close fighting ere I did approach:
I drew to part them: in the instant came
The fiery Tybalt, with his sword prepared,
Which, as he breathed defiance to my ears,
He swung about his head and cut the winds,-"

While she was reading, a pair of ears were listening to every word ,and a pair of eyes were watching her every move, how her facial expression changed with every sentence, how her lips moved with every said word. Turning to Charlie, Gilbert commented "She's good. Invested."
And with a nod of his head ,Charlie agreed.

"-Who nothing hurt withal hiss'd him in scorn:While we were interchanging thrusts and blows,Came more and more and fought on part and part,
Till the prince came, who parted either part."

"Enough. That was surprisingly good. Now, Billy Andrews. Continue."

Closing her book,she sat down. Suddenly a strange feeling of being watched washed over her. Her eyes wandered around the classroom until they landed on a curly brown head. Of course.

Smiling, Gilbert wrote something on his chalkboard,which intrigued Margaret. But she turned around, gaze fixed in front of her.

"Pst!" moving her head so she was facing him,she read what he wrote on his board,and took note that his handwriting is beautiful.

Can we talk?

With a shake of her head, she mouthed 'no', causing the boy to groan in disbelief.

.
.
.

"I suddenly feel very stupid for not eating that toast Marilla made me this morning." Margaret said,clutching her hungry stomach. It was finally recess,and the only two girls that came out of the small schoolhouse were Anne and Margaret.

"Here,take a bite of this sandwich. It's not very good,but Jerry gave it to me, so it sure isn't poisoned!" Anne laughed,offering her friend a bite.

"No,thank you Anne. It doesn't look very appealing." she smiled,but her smile faltered when she saw a familiar boy walking their way.

"Hey. I thought you'd like to try one." he approaches the girl and extends his hand which had an apple in it. "They're from our orchard. They're really sweet."

She wanted to take it. She wanted to apologize for being rude and take his hand. But then she turned to look at the window,where the other girls were standing, including Ruby. She couldn't do that to her.

"Um," her blue eyes were now met with his warm ones, and she was really struggling to reject him "I-I can't. I'm not supposed to talk to you.Please leave me alone."

Standing up, she rushed inside the schoolhouse, mentally cursing herself, and slightly hoping he would leave her alone.

.
.
.

Soon after everyone was seated in their own chairs, and Mr Phillips started writing on the blackboard.

Margaret was distractedly looking out the window, while Anne doodled on her board. Suddenly, a piece of paper was thrown in Margaret's direction, tangling in her hair. Slowly pulling it out,she turned in the direction where it came from,only to see Gilbert with a hand full of pieces of paper. Angrily glaring at him, she turned around to face the front,but soon another piece of paper hit her arm.

And another one.

Now small pieces of chalk were thrown.

Gritting her teeth and clenching her fists,she decided not to look at him. Instead she tried to focus on the numbers Mr Phillips was writing on the board.

Suddenly,an apple was put on her table,a presence next to her startling her,but she decided not to turn around.

"Whoops." This boy doesn't know when to quit.

"Hey." he pleaded, silently praying that she turns to him, at least spare him a few words.

"Hey idiot!" he whisper-yelled, pulling her hair. That was the last straw.

"I said I'm not talking to you!" standing up from her seat, she took a book and slapped him across his face, already regretting it.

Everyone turned around to look at the pair ,gasping. She was looking at him with guilt in her eyes,and her mouth slightly open, surprised when she saw him smirk.

"You just did." he said, backing away to his seat.

"Ms Brown! What on earth are you doing!" Mr Phillips had a shocked expression on his face.

"I-I didn't mean to-" Margaret started but was soon cut off.

"Come here and stand in front of the blackboard!" she silently complied, walking over and turning to face everyone.

"I guess that they don't teach you manners at the orphanage. To think that violence is the only solution. You've completely lost your mind!" he shot her a dirty look.

"Maybe. But you know what they did teach me?" she pointed a finger at him, walking in his direction "-they taught me that groping a girl that's half your age is considered pedophilia ,and insulting people that are younger and weaker than you is a disgusting thing to do,so maybe you should consider looking at yourself before you point at others! Good day,sir!"
and with that,she stomped away,out the door,gone.

Everyone was shocked,to say the least,a few 'ooo's have been thrown, and a few laughs at Mr Phillips' face.

But Gilbert just shook his head and grasped his hurting cheek. Man,she has a strong arm. But something about her nature fascinated him. And he isn't going to let her slip away just like that.