.this is not goodbye

// "DON'T YOU just love the stars?"

"I don't really have time to look at them."

"Oh, come on Gilbert. They're so close, but so far away. They shine so bright and there is so many of them. They're absolutely breathtakingly fascinating!"

"I guess they are."

Lily and Gilbert were outside the Blythe house, they went out for some fresh air because it helped them think. Lying on the ground,they tried to find some constellations, but miserably failed. So they made up their own. And the center of it was the moon. Shiny and bright, lighting up the whole sky.

Gilbert really grew to like the girl. She was a dreamer, liked to read, gave incredible advice and could outsmart anyone in a matter of seconds.

"How long have we been out here actually?" yawning, Lily stood up so she was now sitting on the ground, looking at her wrist watch. She loved the watch. It was a gift from Gilbert's father.

"It's three minutes past ten. But I don't want to go inside yet."

"Then we'll stay here for a bit more."

Gilbert also sat up and wrapped the blanket they were laying on over Lily's shoulders, causing her to smile.

"You're a great person,Gilbert. It's a shame most of the people aren't like you." frowning, she lifted her head up to look at the sky.

"My mom would adore you." the memory of her mother came into her head, all the stuff they did together, how she would read her stories and make her flower crowns.

"What happened to her? I mean, if you're not comfortable talking about it, don't." Gilbert was curious to know why her mother had to leave.

"No,it's okay. My mom was always a cheerful person. She always puts others before herself. Has beautiful eyes and an even more beautiful soul. When I was two, my father died. I don't really remember him besides the pictures my mother showed me. When I was five, she married Charles. That's my stepfather. He's a devil dressed up as a man. Disgusting habits, heart as black as coal, I don't understand what she saw in him. After a while,my mom really started to get sick. First she couldn't lift heavier things, then she couldn't walk without fainting, then she couldn't sit for a long time because it caused her pain... and then... I guess she got attached to the bed. Couldn't move. Doctors said she could stay paralyzed her whole life. Then my stepfather decided to send her away to 'a better place'. He said there were great doctors that would take care of her. That was three years ago and I haven't seen her or talked to her ever since. Sometimes I write her letters and send them to the address Charles told me. But I never got an answer." the girl didn't notice the tears that were now falling down her pale cheeks.

"Hey...It's alright." wiping her tears and wrapping his hands around her, Gilbert continued "It'll all be alright. Don't worry."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

They were startled by a carriage that looked all too familiar to Lily, but Gilbert didn't notice the worry on her face because he was too focused on why there was a... man? in his yard this late at night.

"Hey, Lily, you should go inside."

She didn't need to be told twice. Grabbing the blanket, she ran inside as fast as she could, the fear overcoming her and causing her breath to quicken. How could he possibly have found her?

"Hey, sir. Excuse me but this is private property."

"I came here for my stepdaughter."

Gilbert's blood suddenly ran cold. No. It couldn't be.

"You're Charles?"

"And you're Blythe. To be perfectly damn honest I expected better from you and your father than to kidnap my stepdaughter. Now where is she? I saw her right now. Lillian!" shouting, he started walking towards the front door but he was stopped by a firm hand.

"I'm sorry but I can't let you pass."

"Move out of the way boy, or so God help me I will move you myself. But you won't like it." the threats didn't even get Gilbert to flinch. He stood his ground.

"Move! Before I call the minister! You kidnapped my stepdaughter! I will sue your father and he'll rot in jail!"

Gilbert felt uneasy. But he still stood his ground firmly.

"Look,sir-"

His sentence was cut in half when he was shoved out of the way, his body colliding with the grass.

"Wait! You can't!" quickly getting up, he tried to stop the man from entering. Lily was behind the door,hoping Gilbert would save her. But to no avail.

As soon as the door opened, she felt her arm being grabbed. Letting out a surprised yelp,she tried to yank her arm free before being pulled out of the house.

"There you are, you brat!" pulling the crying out of the house and pushing her onto the ground, he went to kick her before Gilbert came and pulled her up behind him.

"Listen! We-we could make a deal! We-"

"Stop with the nonsense! You're coming with me!" taking her arm now firmly in his, he pulled her towards the carriage.

"Please! Please stop! I don't want to go, please!" kicking and screaming the girl cried, each painful yelp sliced Gilbert's heart.

"Sir! Please! Listen!" taking her other hand in his, he tried to stop him, to pull her in his embrace and tell her everything's going to be alright.

"Gilbert! Help me!" pushing her into the carriage, Charles shoved the boy away, causing him to stumble back and let go of her hand.

"Lily!" closing the door, he climbed up and with one hand movement, the horse started walking.

Gilbert ran behind the carriage,trying to keep up with it and maybe try to reason the man, but he tripped and fell because of the dark.

"Lily!I'll save you! I promise!"

The last thing Gilbert saw before the carriage was out of sight was the crying face of Lily which will haunt him at night.

'I didn't help her...

....I promised...' //