Chapter 2: Hill

The school building is on top of a hill, so when Cameron and I were leaving the school campus we had to go down the hill.

We hadn't seen the wreckage.

Bodies, everywhere. 

Once we finished walking down the hill, I saw cars, blood, and dead headless bodies. I hear heaving and look behind me, Cameron is throwing up. I don't blame him.

It looks like a pile-up of about 30 cars. Seems as though the sound was heard out here as well. I can only assume this is how the rest of the city looks, and smells.

But, if everyone out here and inside is dead, I'm wondering why Cameron, Jasmine, and I's heads didn't explode like everyone else's.

This is fucking weird. 

Are the things looking for something?

"Hey, are you okay?" Cameron asks, coming up behind me after throwing up his lunch.

"I should probably be asking you that." I hand him a piece of gum. I usually carry two packs in my purse. Stay prepared.

"Thanks, I'm fine, really. I'll just have to get used to the smell."

"Try not to throw up again, you need to save your energy."

"Okay I guess I'll try. Why is your purse so big?"

"Don't worry bout it sweetheart."

"Um, what?"

"This that spleh. If you don't get it then this whole companion thing isn't going to work."

There's silence, and I know he doesn't understand the reference.

I'm scanning my surroundings, making sure I don't see any of those things from inside the building.

For some reason they hadn't followed us outside, and as soon as we left the building and got a few feet away from the door, I hadn't heard the sound.

Are they not trying to kill everyone? If they were they would've followed us outside.

I'm not sure which direction will be the safest. It looks like the damage is pretty equal both sides of the road, and either way we walk will be pretty open, besides the trees. Luckily there was a pretty even amount of trees either way we went, since it's hot out, and I hate sweating.

"Are we just going to stand here or..."

"I'm trying to think of which way I should go."

"Well it's nasty either way so..."

"I'm going to go this way." I point to the right, and start walking.

"Wait, why?"

"I'm not standing here all day." Obviously.

"Well, where are we going?" We?

"My house."

"Why?" Is he ever going to shut up and just walk? I take a deep breath before answering.

"After this, don't ask anymore questions unless absolutely necessary. I need to make sure my family is okay, and we have a van that will fit 7 people. My aunt lives next door to us and her van can fit 5. I'm not sure exactly what's happening but more people might help. There's a market down the street from where I live, so we could fill the vans with food. I don't know you like that, so I'm not going to your house. You can come with me, because I know I could beat you up if I need to and I have pepper spray in my bag." 

I had a plan as soon as I stepped out of the building door. I've personally always mentally had an apocalypse plan.

Never had to explain it to someone else before though.

"You don't trust me?"

Why can't he be quiet? I'm trying to process everything that's happening.

"That's a question, I'm leaving."

"No wait! Look, I know you just met me, but I'm a really good person. Very trustworthy if you ask me."

I guess everyone processes different ways.

"Well I didn't ask you, and we literally met like an hour ago." Literally.

"I know, but you already kind of saved my life back there. If I hadn't listened to you I'd probably be dead."

He definitely would be dead.

"I've just realized you have this habit of talking."

He looks at me like I've said something weird.

"You sat alone at lunch, didn't you? Who hurt you?"

I know the fuck he didn't just-

"Shut the fuck up, right now. Nobody hurt me, and no I didn't sit alone at lunch. You don't know me. There's about 30 minutes until I reach my house, and you don't have to be there with me." 

Matter of fact, why is he still following me?

"Okay, so if I don't have to be there and you don't care, why did you want me out of the building so badly?"

To save your life, bitch.

"Because you would've had a chance, she clearly didn't and those things were coming, I did it out of common courtesy and I would've felt guilty had I not tried at all. I'm sick of you assuming things about me."

"You're right, I shouldn't have said that, it was a little judgemental." Good he apologized. "But-" Of course, I roll my eyes.

"- you shouldn't have said I talk too much."

"But you do"

"No, you're just mean and antisocial."

"I'm not a fan of trivial talk."

With him, something about him rubs me the wrong way. I sometimes talk too much.

"Oh, I get it now, you sat with the emo kids."

Bitch he really just- oh hell no.

"I sat with 'normal' people, and who I sat with and how many people I sat with, have literally nothing to do with the person I am and how much I dislike talking with you. They're all dead anyways." 

All my friends, my best friends, dead, and still being judged.

He stays pretty quiet after that.

________________________________________________________________________________