Chapter 4: Baby

Crying... why is there crying?

"Do you hear that?"

I rush upstairs to the spare room. I don't have any siblings so I didn't check for anyone but my parents. The walls are thin so I would've heard if anyone was next door.

They must have had someone over. Shit.

I can't leave a baby. Even if my morals may be a little messed up, I'd never leave a baby. 

I open the door to the spare room, and see a baby laying on the bed wrapped in a blue blanket. There's no baby bag around, and I don't see any other bodies.

"Cameron!" He runs up the stairs without tripping.

"What? Wait, is that a baby?"

"No, it's a unicorn." What am I supposed to do with a baby? A whole other person's child is now my responsibility because the parents are most likely dead.

Walking towards the baby I smell poop. Oh no. Now we need to get baby stuff,  why isn't there a baby bag around, and where did the parents go?

"Are we gonna leave it?"

The baby isn't a bitch I hate, not gonna leave it. Of course the baby is a death sentence waiting to happen but with everything going on, I wouldn't be able to leave knowing the baby would die.

I'm mean sometimes, not fucking evil.

"No, why would we leave a baby?" I say as I pick the baby up, the cries subsiding.

"I didn't take you as a baby person." He shifts slightly on his feet as I look over at him, while rocking the baby gently.

"You don't know me." 

Like bro, we just met.

"We need to go to a store or something, we need diapers, baby wipes, and baby food." I walk out of the room with the baby in my arms.

We should give you a name. I think as I look at the baby.

"You really stink, I'm gonna call you poo-poo for now. I'll change it once I figure out your personality." I'm not sure if the baby's a boy or girl yet though.

"It's a boy so we should name him Johnathan or something." I glance up from the baby to look at Cameron.

"Did you just assume the baby's gender?"

"The blanket is blue."

"Ok, and? Have you checked inside the diaper yet, we don't know what the baby's sex is right now, the gender is for them to decide." He gives me a blank look.

"Whatever."

"Anyway, we should get out of here, but you should probably take a shower or something, you're still covered in blood from the classroom. I'll look for a diaper somewhere and try to change the baby."

"Why are you changing the baby?" I lift the baby towards Cameron and he backs away, putting his hand over his nose. "Ok, I know now."

"Go shower, you look like Carrie."

As Cameron showers I go into my room, laying the baby on my bed and looking into the diaper. It's a boy, for now.

He's sleep so there shouldn't be a problem changing the diaper, I'm experienced since I've had small cousins. There should be a diaper somewhere around here.

I look through my closet for 5 minutes and find one in a hamper under some stuff.

"Now for wipes." I mutter under my breath. Looking back I see the baby looking at me.

"Hello there, I'm Dasana, your new caretaker. Do you have any preferred names?" I know the baby isn't gonna answer but he's just too adorable, I have to say something to make him think I'm not a psycho.

As if what I just said wasn't sort of a weird thing to say to a baby.

He looks around 1, maybe younger. He looks mixed or something, because his eyes are green and his skin is a caramel color.

I'm a huge Supernatural fan so I'll throw him some name suggestions from there. I walk over to my bed and  sit next to the baby.

"Sam?" He frowns.

"Dean?" I guess that's a no.

"What about Jack?" Aww that's the cutest little baby smile I've ever seen in my whole life.

"Hi Jack." I place my finger in his hand and he smiles and squeezes it. He's kinda strong to be this small, feels like he's 2 or 3. But he's too small to be that old.

I hear the shower stop, and Cameron comes out of the bathroom and steps into the hall. I don't look up as I'm assuming he's probably in just a towel.

"You can change in my parents room, look through the closet and find some clothes." 

We were never really close, my parents and I. Our relationship wasn't really conventional, they treated me more like a guest. Their death was still difficult to take though. Honestly at this point, I just don't want to run into anymore of those things, especially now that I have Jack to take care of.

I can't let all those feelings take hold of me right now, I have to be stronger. Maybe I'll cry more, and grieve all the deaths another time, but not right now.

"Hey I found these in the cabinet, will these be okay right now?" Cameron asks holding up a packet of baby wipes. What? Why do we have baby wipes?

I was only looking at his hand that was holding the baby wipes.

"Yeah they're-" I look at the rest of his torso, "-fine."

"Uh, why don't you have a shirt on?" I'm honestly not complaining, but it isn't practical to not have a shirt on right now. One word, abs.

"I thought it would be best to hand these to you now." He says handing me the wipes. Right. There's only a couple wipes in here, my mother must've been using them to remove her makeup.

Shaking my head and coming back to my senses, trying to get rid of the teenage hormones I start to change Jack's diaper.

"So did you uh, play a sport?"

"Ha, yeah football. Why'd you ask?"

Boy you know why.

"No reason you just seem social like a sports person."

While true, not the reason I asked.

"So, is it a boy or girl?" Cameron asks with a shirt on, walking to stand beside me as I am sitting on the bed, playing with Jack.

"He is a boy for now, his name is Jack and I love him with all my heart." I say in the voice people usually reserve for babies and animals, while holding Jack's torso as he tries to stand on both legs. He's laughing and trying to walk on the bed. So cute.

Cameron looks at me weirdly, while I'm smiling at Jack.

"What?"

"Stop being weird."

"I'm not being weird, this is how I always act with babies."

"You don't act like that with me."

"Are you a baby?"

"I could be your baby." He says while sending me a wink. I roll my eyes.

"Now you're being weird."