Chapter 5: Run

"Maybe we should stay here for the night, I mean, is there really a rush to leave the city? Those things didn't follow us, and everybody we've come across is dead." Says Cameron after pacing back and forth like a maniac.

My parents are dead in the basement, so while it stinks, they aren't in the way. I knew  we'd probably have to stay a little longer because of Jack, so I did what I had to, don't want bodies in the living room.

I'll also probably be scarred for life. Cameron didn't even help, not surprisingly.

"I guess you have a point, but Jack will need to be changed and stuff. I know I already changed his poopy butt once, but he'll need to be changed again."

After a few minutes he makes a suggestion.

"Okay, what if I go to the family dollar down the street and see if they have any of the baby stuff you need?"

"Are you sure you should go out alone?"

"I really don't see another option, I mean if anything happened to me out there you'd know because I wouldn't come back. That way you could determine whether or not you and Jack should leave the house. I'm not good with babies so he's better off with you."

I don't want to tell him that I'm really worried. What if he doesn't come back? Then it'll just be me and Jack, and Cameron isn't as bad as I initially thought so I'd kind of miss his presence.

But, if he doesn't come back how am I supposed to know he didn't just run away from us. He doesn't have any obligations to stay and I'm not about to use a baby to trap him.

I just, don't want him to get hurt if something happens.

"Okay, you can go just, be careful. Take a knife or something with you, there should be one in the bag I packed you, or in the kitchen. I'm not sure."

"Okay I'll be right back." He turns to leave, but I grab his arm before he's too far.

"Seriously just, watch your surroundings we don't know if those things are out there."

________________________________________

It's been about 45 minutes, what's taking him so long?

The T.V still works but there's nothing on the local news channels, so whatever happened must've happened all over the city.

Jack's been watching Netflix since Cameron left out and is on another episode of some kids show.

I hear the door open and shuffling into the house.

"Dasana!" I breath a sigh of relief. I'm glad he's okay. Taking Jack into my arms I carry him down the steps.

Cameron looks worried, he's sweating and breathing heavy, panting.

"Are you okay, what took so long?"

"We need to leave, now."

"What happened?" I say worriedly while looking at the things he brought. It's all the baby stuff we need and... a big stick thing?

"What is that?"

"A piñata stick."

"Okay, but why do you have it?" I know I haven't exactly addressed why we need to leave but, we'll get there.

"Protection, I found it in the store. But Dasana, we need to go like, now!"

"Why?" I question, handing Jack to him. I make my way into the basement where I know there should be a baby carrying thing. The ones you put on and walk around with.

It seriously smells, I'm glad it's a big basement, I can't see them.

"I saw one."

My heart stops for a second.

"What?"

"The things, one of them was outside the store when I was coming out."

"Did it see you?"

"No."

"Are you hiding something? What really happened?"

"Shit Dasana! We need to go! The one time I say something helpful you're trying to ignore me!" Jack tries to wiggle out of Cameron's hold and I motion for him to put Jack in the carrier thing.

The only reason we have one is because my parents were supposed to go to a baby shower and got it as a gift. I still don't know what it's called though.

"I'm not ignoring you, you just seem shifty. So I'll ask again, what happened?" He avoids my eyes.

"Tell me or we're going separate ways." I really don't want to separate but if he can't trust me enough to tell me what actually happened then I can't trust him.

"I-" then I hear the sound beginning.

"Shh." My hearts pounding and I really hope the baby doesn't start crying.

It's getting slightly louder. They're close by. I look out of the window and see 2 coming from the end of the block.

I look to Cameron and point to the back windows. He runs to them and looks at the alley. Looking back to me he shakes his head, signaling there's some back there too.

"Shit." And then Jack starts crying.