Chapter 6: Suicide Mission

"No, no Jack don't cry." I'm rocking him gently, trying to think of a way out of this situation.

"Cameron, look on the coat rack, there should be some ear muffs." I look at Jack and continue rocking back and forth, gently wiping his tears away.

Cameron finds the ear muffs and hands them to me, I put them on Jack and hope for the best. His cries finally dying down. I look out of the window again, the sound is getting louder, the things are getting closer. They are walking down the street, towards this house.

"It's okay Jack, I'm not going to let them hurt you."

"Dasana, what are we going to do?"

"What else is there? They are coming straight for us, if we stay in here, we're dead. The only option I can think of is fight, I don't think we'll outrun them with a baby. How many were back there?"

"About 3 or 4, their tentacles messed me up with the counting."

"So we go through the front, there's only 2." Two of them, two of us.

"Can you even fight?" Is that a question?

"Can you?" He shut up.

"Cameron I think you should carry Jack."

"Why?"

"You're physically stronger than I am, a baby is gonna slow me down more than you." Putting the baby carrier on Cameron I take his piñata stick. I rush to the kitchen and grab a knife, quickly finding tape I tape the knife to the top of the stick. Praying to whatever higher power there is, and hoping I've seen enough zombie movies to get through this.

I took a tiny bit of martial arts when I was younger so I hope some of it stuck with me.

I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna make it though. Cameron will learn to take care of Jack if it comes down to it. I'll haunt the shit out of him if he doesn't.

Honestly the reason I want Cameron to carry Jack is so they can run. I wasn't lying when I said Cameron was bigger than me and he played football, therefore more stamina than I will ever have.

I get winded walking up the stairs too fast, they'd definitely catch us. Shit I tripped 2 days ago walking up the stairs.

He'd probably be better off in this fight too, but there's bags to carry along with Jack, and I'm not equipped. The most I can probably do is buy time, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to at least try.

"Cameron, when we get out there I'm gonna need you to run, as far as you can."

"Dasana, what are you talking about? You can't take on both of those things."

"We both won't make it if we both stay to fight, the baby needs at least one of us." The things are halfway down the block. We need to act now.

"Come on, they are coming, how far were the ones in the alley?"

"About halfway last time I checked."

"Let's go."

I'm thinking they expected us to go out the back once we saw the two in the front. Why are they doing so much just to kill us?

They probably figured we wouldn't put up a fight, just run. They are in for a rude awakening.

Running back to the kitchen I grab about 2 more knives and hold them in one hand, with the stick in the other.

I open the front door and walk outside, the things spot me immediately. I hear Cameron behind me tentatively stepping out.

"Cameron go!" He takes off into the opposite direction of the things.

Damn, didn't take him long to leave me.

Now it's just me and them. Strangely, none of them even turn their heads in Cameron's direction.

Walking toward them slowly my heart is beating out of my chest, and I feel like I'm gonna die.

They watch me curiously. Not walking toward me anymore, now I'm making the moves.

This is really stupid and I'm gonna die.

Shit.

I throw the sharpest knife at the one on the left as hard and accurately I can. I seem to have caught them both by surprise because it actually hits it, and neither of them makes a move until the one I hit falls to the ground with black liquid oozing onto the ground.

Holy fucking shit.

That seems to have woken the other up, at first their movements were slow and sluggish, now its rushing toward me. I try throwing the other knife but it dodges and continues using its tentacles to sort of run to me.

They don't seem to be the brightest of creatures because it didn't seem to have an attack plan just blindly moving.

When it's about five feet away one of the tentacles try to grab me, I move the stick to cut it off and jump out of the way.

Bitch, where is this coming from? 

The tentacle falls on the floor and the thing let's out what sounds like some sort of cry while still moving forward. It sounds like a pig squeal and a high pitched yell from a person.

It stopped about 2 feet in front of me with it's back facing me. Wrong move.
With the knife-stick I stab it in the head, its cries dying.

These things aren't smart, good because neither am I.

No, wait, I mean I am.

Anyways.

Pulling the stick from its head it falls to the floor. Black stuff squirting all over me from the wound. I'm about to cry because some of it got in my mouth.

Like how some stuff gets in the back of your throat and no matter how hard you try to not swallow, you still swallow some. That's what just happened. It's so disgusting and tastes horrible.

I feel like this is what licking the school floors would taste like.

It's in my hair, so I'm gonna have to wash it sooner than I planned.

I hear the sound again, it had stopped once I killed the other one but now I hear it again.

It must be how they scare away humans or something. I look back at my house and see 4 of them come out.

It was sort of easy killing the first 2 but I don't think I can take on 4. Maybe the other 2 were just really dumb or something.

The first one to come out didn't even look in my direction. The rest followed the first. I cleared my throat and they looked my way.

Interesting. I'm about to see what I can do.