vi.

max and mike joined the rest of the party at their usual lunch table

an eager student walked up to the podium and turned on the microphone.

"hello hawkins high senior class! as you know, i am lisa wood, and i am your senior class president.

and i would like to announce this years prom theme!" the girl practically squealed into the microphone.

"this years senior prom theme is...happily ever after!" lisa exclaimed.

jane's eyes lit up as she turned back to the party.

"happily ever after! that's so fun!" she squealed, earning strange looks from some of her friends.

"c'mon guys. you've gotta like this theme. happily ever after? prince saves princess, and they ride off into the sunset," she said dreamily.

"you understand, right max?" she asked, willing the redhead to agree.

"y-yeah...uh.." she began to say when mike arched his eyebrow at her questioningly. 

"um. yeah. it's cool. fairytales and princesses. it's what every little girl dreams of," she continued.

"that's funny coming from you," mike scoffed.

"you just don't understand. you don't have anyone to share it with," jane snapped back.

dustin smiled at her and slung an arm over her shoulder.

mike looked at his plate solemnly and max touched his arm lovingly under the table, unobserved to the party.