xi.

mike turned around to find will, lucas, dustin, and jane watching it go down

mike turned around to find will, lucas, dustin, and jane watching it go down. he sighed and walked toward them.

they all stood there silently for a few seconds when will finally asked the question they were all thinking. "us? what's us?"

mike rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "me and max are dating," he admitted.

jane gasped and then "aww"ed. dustin smirked, having already known.

"when? how?" will, once again, was the first to speak up.

mike shrugged. "jennifer hayes' end of summer party. remember, we played spin the bottle?"

his friends nodded, thinking back to the night. "you guys kissed," lucas realized. mike nodded.

"we were drunk, and later that night max confessed she'd liked me for a while," he continued.

jane's eyebrows furrowed. "i don't get it. why didn't you tell us?"

"it's complicated. we didn't wanna make a big deal. and we weren't sure if y'all would be okay with it," mike replied.

will nodded understandingly. "we're okay with it," he said with a small smile.

"and it's not like it's a black and white thing that we could just explain to you guys. our love is grey. it's complex and deep," mike rambled.

"mikey! your heart eyes are showing," dustin teased. the taller boy blushed profusely.

"speaking of heart eyes, i gotta go find max. she's still upset," mike said before running off.

"get you some!" lucas yelled down the hall.