iv.

"what the crap, max?!" lucas yelled as he searched for a napkin

"what the crap, max?!" lucas yelled as he searched for a napkin. will cringed at the milk all over his arms.

"sorry guys.." max muttered. she directed her eyes to the floor, avoiding eye contact.

jess was still at the table. as the members of the party cleaned up, mike stood up.

"c'mon. let's talk somewhere else," mike suggested as he led jess away from the table.

they went into the hallway right off the cafeteria. max watched through the doors but couldn't understand what was happening.

a few minutes later jess stormed back in and sat down with her friends. she glared at the party as she walked past their table.

mike shook his head and recollected himself before walking into the lunch room.

"so what was that about?" dustin asked as the boy sat down.

"i told her no," mike replied shortly. jane raised her eyebrows and looked at the boys. they were just as confused as her.

"and?" she prompted.

"and what?" mike asked obliviously.

he looked at his friends with a blank stare. then the realization hit him, he'd just turned down a fairly attractive and popular girl for no reason.

but he had a reason; the best reason he thought he could ever have. the reason was max.