xii.

mike went down the hallway he'd seen his girlfriend run down just ten minutes earlier

knowing she wouldn't have gone to class that upset, he knocked on the girls bathroom.

after hearing an angry "occupied!" he knew it was max, and she was alone.

he walked in and set his backpack down. she was standing in front of the sinks, looking in the mirror.

her face was red and blotchy with tears streaming down it. "baby," mike said softly, pulling her into his arms.

max let out a treacherous sob and her whole body shook. "what's wrong, beautiful?" he asked.

she looked up at her boyfriend and wiped away her tears. "i w-was gonna tell our f-friends about us-s," she stuttered through her sobs.

mike rubbed her back comfortingly, taking in her words.

"b-but now, i can't. y-you wouldn't want t-to be known as the g-guy with a lesb-bian girlfriend," max rambled.

mike shushed her cries and pulled her in for another hug. "i swear i'm n-not. i love y-you, i do," she continued.

"shh, baby. i know. hey, listen," he said, pulling her chin up with his hand.

"do you think i care what people think? i don't. i only care about you. i'll only ever care about you," he said softly.

she smiled and hugged him tight. "i love you, beautiful," he whispered into her ear.

she didn't even fuss at him.