viii.

"mike!" dustin yelled as he slammed the basement door open

max jumped off the couch as soon as she heard the door open, but she wasn't quick enough.

"max? you and..mike?" dustin questioned as he slowly shut the door.

"um..y-yeah. me and max. you weren't supposed to see that.." mike stuttered.

"oh, you mean see you guys making out?"

max laughed at dustin's comment. "yeah."

she sat back on the couch next to her boyfriend. dustin paced the room.

"so, uh dustin? why are you here?" mike asked.

"no way, you're not changing the subject that easy," the curly headed boy replied.

max rolled her eyes and leaned back on the couch. "what do you wanna know?"

"everything. how did this even happen? when did this happen? why haven't you told anyone?" dustin rambled.

"well," mike started before glancing over at his girlfriend. "remember jennifer hayes' end of summer party?"

dustin nodded and max buried her face in her hands, embarrassed by what was about to be said.

"so we were playing spin the bottle, and max and i kissed. didn't think much of it.

it's just a game. well at the end of the night," mike was interrupted by a small squeal from his girlfriend.

he looked at her and laughed before continuing.

"at the end of the night, max confessed that she'd liked me for a year or so, and yeah. here we are."