vii.

karen wheeler walked in the front door of her house at nine pm

"mike? are you home?" she yelled up the stairs as she set grocery bags on the kitchen counter.

"yeah!" mike yelled as he met her in the kitchen and immediately started unpacking the groceries.

"what'd you do today?" she asked, trying to start a conversation. she didn't know much that went on with her son anymore.

"just school. had a big test. actually, i'm kinda tired. i think i'm gonna head to bed," he replied.

karen was about to object but he was already up the stairs and behind his bedroom door.

"okay, we're clear," he said to max as he locked the door. she smiled and opened the window.

"so are you telling me where we're going?" she asked skeptically. he just shook his head and climbed out the window.

they rode through town on his old bike, afraid to make noise starting his car.

he pulled up to the arcade and threw a blanket
on the picnic table outside.

"are you serious?" max questioned as she realized his plan.

"shut up and lay down. the stars are gorgeous tonight," her boyfriend replied.

"i see stars in your eyes," the redhead said dreamily as she lay beside mike.

"oh shut up," he replied, blushing profusely.