The Second Task

*YOUR POV*

     I walked up to the doors and put the valve cores in the dropbox. As soon as I did so, Alice's voice came from overhead again. "My machines are hungry. Gather me some spare parts!" I groaned inwardly as I heard the pipe moving behind me. I saw a wrench in the slot now, so I replaced it with the plunger and watched the plunger dissolve. Hopefully the wrench was stronger. I began walking around the corridors, wondering what she could've meant. Maybe in the gear boxes mounted on the walls? It was worth a shot. I wandered the halls, wrench held tightly, before I found a gear box. I opened it and took out the gear. I checked for anything else, but it was just the gear inside. I listened carefully for Alice, and assumed I was collecting the correct thing because she didn't say otherwise. I took the lift up one floor and collected two more gears. As I turned around to search for the last one, a member of the Butcher Gang popped out in front of me. I shrieked and fell back, nearly dropping the wrench. I scooted back, regained my composure, stood, and swung. Two hits later, he was an inky puddle. I marveled at the strength of the wrench. It was much more powerful than the plunger. I sighed, then went up one more flight of stairs and grabbed a fourth gear. "Ah, that should be plenty. Return them to me. And try not to die on the way back." Instantly, I became nervous. She could see everything that was happening, so why would she say that? Was she kidding, scaring me, or had she seen some danger up ahead that couldn't be defeated? Either way, I had to be very cautious as I made my way back to the lift.