Surprise

*YOUR POV*

I walked to the side door after listening to the tape, Alice following me, and looked through the glass part. It was filled with ink, almost as high as I was tall. I sighed and stepped back. "Well, we can't go that way."

"Not yet, at least," Alice said. I glanced over to her and saw a pipeline, which I assumed was meant to drain the tunnel. I walked over and she bent down, touching the pipes cautiously. She then stood and looked back up at me. "I think this is connected to the hallway, but there's two pipes missing and two different paths." I nodded.

"So, then we should split up and each go one way. Assuming each pipe is on a different path. That way, we can find them and get back to Boris faster." Alice nodded, but was I imagining the small waver in her smile?

"Yeah. That makes sense. So, I'll go left and you go right?"

"Works for me. I guess I'll see you in a bit?" Alice smiled slightly before she turned and went down the left path. I sighed. I had wanted to stick with her, spend more time at her side, but she was already gone. I reluctantly went down the right path, keeping an eye out for any potential danger.

After only a short while, I had located the missing pipe and ran back to put it in place. When I got back, Alice hadn't returned yet, but I could see the spot where my pipe was intended to go, and I carefully pushed it into place. It set with a resounding click, and right then, Alice came back, holding another pipe. I smiled when I caught sight of her and her eyes seemed to brighten. She grinned and walked over to the puzzle, holding up the pipe. "The last piece." Carefully, she pressed it into place, and it clicked as well. I gripped the wheel and turned it, making a noise emanate from the hall. I walked over and pulled open the door, revealing a now empty hallway.

"Well, it's done. We did it!" Alice smiled and threw herself into my arms, causing me to stumble back a bit as I wrapped my arms around her waist.

"Yay! We make a good team!" I nodded as she pulled back and looked into my eyes, her hands still linked together around my neck. Then, before I could react, I felt her lips pressing against mine as she kissed me. Was this real?