The Revelation

*YOUR POV*

I slammed on the throttle, gunning it forward, not looking back. I knew that looking back would cause a distraction, and one that I couldn't afford. I could hear the creature behind me, but I kept going. Suddenly, my boat shuddered and stopped, just like before. I whirled around and saw that the paddlewheel was clogged again. It made sense; the boat wasn't designed for ink, after all. I quickly dislodged the ink globs with my lead pipe, then lunged back to hit the throttle again. I went for a bit longer before the wheel was clogged again. I freed it, glancing up to see the hand closing in. I shoved the throttle forward again, sending the boat forward until it stopped at a dock. I jumped off and looked back, noticing that the hand was now gone. Huh. I stared down into the inky river, wondering just how deep that ink was, since it could hide something big enough to have that hand completely underneath it. I shuddered at the thought and backed away from the boat, slowly. I sighed and turned around, taking in my surroundings. I looked to be in a fisherman's dock area, almost. There were platforms above me with inky fishermen on them, and a huge clearing in the center. I stepped into the clearing and saw words above a boarded up door on the other end of the room. "NOT MONSTERS," it read. I used the device that Alice had given me to look at it, and saw the words replaced with different ones. "ONCE PEOPLE, NOW FALLEN INTO DISREPAIR." I slowly lowered the device, looking around at all the inky fishermen on the platforms. I gasped as a realization hit me. They were once people, meaning it was more than likely that they were once the factory workers who came back and had this happen to them. I gripped my pipe tighter; if this had happened to them, who's to say the same wasn't destined for me?