Final Steps

*YOUR POV*

I turned around, grabbing Alice's hand, and began running. We didn't get far though, only to the end of the hallway before she pulled, stopping us short. I blinked in confusion, wondering why she'd stopped us at a giant window. I didn't have time to think much, however, because the hallway on the other side was covered in ink. As I watched, the Ink Demon himself came from one end, slowly walking across. Alice pulled me into the shadows, covering my mouth. I was pulled to her chest, and her other hand was wrapped around my waist. Despite the tense situation, I couldn't help but feel safe and at home in the angel's arms. Too soon, she let go. "Ok. We should be good. Let's go." I nodded and followed her down a hallway the opposite direction of the Ink Demon. We stopped at a turn, looking at the wall, where the word "death" was written in ink, an arrow pointing to the only direction we could go. I shrugged.

"Well, you did say it was death. And it's not like we have a ton of options." Alice smiled grimly and grabbed my hand.

"We're going in together then." I nodded and turned, walking into a room with my angel. In front of us, there was a huge ink pipe, much larger than me, dripping ink into a sort of moat on the floor, a door just under it. Alice released my hand, stepping forward. "Wow. I've never seen this before! I don't see anything around... Nothing to build a raft with." I glanced around, coming to the same conclusion.

"We'll have to wade across." Alice spun around, shaking her head.

"We can't... We're not like you, Y/N. If we go in there, well... A drop of water in the ocean is rarely seen again." I sighed.

"Then I guess it's all up to me." Alice shook her head desperately, clutching my shirt.

"No! I can't lose you. I... I love you. I know it's stupid, but I do, I can't bear the thought of being without you. Please don't go. It's suicide." I smiled sadly as Boris came up behind Alice, pulling her from me.

"Alice... I love you too. And that's why I have to do this. To set you free." I walked through the ink to the door, climbing into it as Alice fought to get free.

"Y/N! I'm begging you, please... Don't do this. Just come back..." I shook my head, my heart breaking at the sight of inky tears streaming down the angel's face.

"I can't do that. I have to go on. But I'll come back for you. I promise. I love you." With that, I turned and walked through the door, Alice's scream following me in.