The Tape

*YOUR POV*

I slowly opened my eyes. I had no idea how long I'd been out, but it appeared that I slept undisturbed. Memories of what happened came back to me in flashes. Running errands for Alice. Breaking down in front of her door. Seeing her as she told me to return to the lift. Getting in and going up. The cord snapping. Falling, fast and to seemingly no end. Hitting the ground hard. Boris shaking me, trying to wake me up. Alice grabbing him, taking him away. I pulled myself to my feet and turned, looking back at the destroyed elevator. I saw the remainder of the cord. Frayed, but clean. So it had been cut. I sighed and looked around. I remembered Alice taking Boris down the hall I was facing, so that would be a good place to start. I began walking. Eventually, I came to a dead end; right and left were my only choices. I looked at the printed sign in front of me.

LEVEL S
ACCOUNTING & FINANCE

Managment Office
GRANT COHEN >>>

<<< ARCHIVES J-L
<<< R & D ACCESS

I thought for a minute. If I were Alice, where would I take Boris? I thought back to Susie telling me about the most secluded places in the workshop. The archives! I sighed. Probably locked though. I turned to the right and went to Grant Cohen's office. I stepped in and looked around. Words were scribbled messily on the wall in ink, overlapping in a jumble of letters. Ink had dried on the floor under and around the work station in the corner. A tape recorder rested on the desk, calling me. I walked over and pressed play, hoping for insight about what happened. A voice came through it that didn't even sound human, screaming, gurgling, snarling, until it ended with a whine and a splash, almost like the sound of the ink creatures going through the floor to hide. A chill ran through me as I glanced anxiously at my feet. I could sense that something far scarier than anything I'd seen was laying in wait for the chance to strike. And I didn't want to be here when it did. I left the office and headed to the archives.