1

Matteo walked into the boarding house, aware that that was where his brothers were supposed to be. He was the eldest Salvatore, though his brothers believed him dead. He knew they had survived, that they were vampires, but he could never find them. It wasn't that he wasn't capable. Just that he wasn't allowed. It was forbidden. As he got closer to the door, he felt the familiar energy of a boundary spell that surrounded all houses. The magic that kept out vampires. He took a slow deliberate step as he passed the doorway and headed to the room where there was noise. He got there in time to see Damon rush at a young girl who simply threw him across the room with her mind. That must be Bonnie, he thought. He studied her more, she seemed to be holding a dangerously large amount of magic within her.
"Well, I was impressed." He heard his youngest brother remark.
"It doesn't matter if he's an Original. I can take down anyone who comes at me. I can kill him, Elena. I know I can."
"And why is it a young girl like you even thinks about killing?" He said, announcing his presence. Elena, the doppelgänger, let out a small gasp.
"Are you Klaus?" She asked.
"No." Damon answered for him. "He's supposed to be dead."
"Matteo." Stefan sped in front of him, and Damon copied him. "How are you here?"
"Well, you didn't think you were the only ones to survive the hell Katherine rained upon us?"
"But you died." Damon said. "We saw Katherine drain you of your blood."
"Well I died, but I came back to life. You aren't the only special ones you know?" Matteo grinned at his brothers. He paused and looked over to the man standing up. There was a cloud of magic surrounding him. He narrowed his eyes. The last time he'd seen this kind of magic was seven decades ago when Klaus had jumped bodies. "So, who do you plan on killing, little brothers? I'm sure I taught you killing was wrong, although that was over a century ago, so I can't expect you'd remember."
"We're vampires, brother. Can you honestly tell me you've never killed anyone?"
"Of course I haven't killed. It's wrong." He shrugged. "So this is the latest doppelgänger?"
"She's nothing like Katherine."
"I can see that. No offence- oh, Elena is it?" She nodded at him. "Well no offence but Katherine's look was much different. Besides, you're human. She's a vampire."
"So you're another Salvatore? We've never heard of you." She spoke up.
"I tended to keep myself out of events in this town. As for my brothers, I don't know why they never mentioned me. I suppose you'll have to take that up with them."
"I'm Alaric." The man that Matteo was sure was Klaus, introduced. All Matteo did was raise a brow, though he stayed silent.
"I'm Bonnie." The witch introduced herself, though Matteo already knew.
"As you know, I'm Elena."
"Nice to meet you. I'm Matteo Salvatore, but I go by Matt."
"There's already another Matt in town, brother." Damon could help but add.
"Then call me Matthew. I don't go by Matteo, haven't since I died."
"Nice to meet you."
"How are you alive?" Stefan asked his eldest brother.
"And would you like to go to a high school dance?" Damon added.
"Damon, we're too old to pass as high school students. You know that, right? And if the age difference doesn't deter you, you do know these kids aren't legal, right?" He ignored Stefan's question.
"We'll be chaperones. We're looking for this creepy, dangerous dude who's after Elena."
"An original. I heard. Klaus?"
"Yeah. You know of him?" Damon asked.
"Let's go with that for now." He shrugged. "Anyways, I'll be fine, settling in to this town. You go and do your recon mission or whatever. I'm sure your friend Alaric can point out a few places to go while I'm here."
"Why Alaric?"
"Well, it seems as though you guys have your hands full, and he looks like he's about to leave." It was true, but it wasn't the full reason.
"I don't mind." Alaric spoke up. "The Grill is on my way and I could drop him off there. Besides, maybe he could give me some pointers on how to handle you, Damon."
"Okay. Just be careful, Matty. This isn't a normal town. There's the vampire hunting council, creepy dude who wants to drain Elena's blood, and then some." Damon told his brother.
"So basically Mystic Falls hasn't changed?"
"More or less."
Once Alaric/Disguised-Klaus And Matteo were a safe distance from the house, Matteo started talking.
"Spying again, Klaus?" He asked.
"How can you always tell, with one look?" He sighed.
"Because I'm awesome, now spill. I asked you to look out for my brothers. You and Stefan got along great for a while, and now you want to sacrifice his girlfriend."
"Look, Matt. It's no surprise that I like you. You're a good friend, and you've always been there for me. But I need to break this curse."
"My brothers will try to stop you."
"I know."
"I won't let you hurt them."
"I know."
"If they ever desperately need my help because it's life and death, I will help them."
"I know."
"Good, just making sure we're clear. Oh, god. You and your tricks. You do know how much of an invasion of privacy it is to take someone's body and live their life, right?"
"I have Katerina." Klaus told him. "I know what she meant to you as a human. You can come see her, if you'd like."
"I'd rather not."