25

Matteo led his brother into a classroom, not that it looked anything like one. They stood at the doorway. There were no chairs around. The kids were all standing in two rows facing each other. The teacher walked between them, waving her arms around as she taught them. She noticed Matteo at the door.
"Ah, Mr Salvatore. Come in, come in!"
"Ms Shipp." He nodded at her walking in. Damon followed behind him.
"And this must be none other than Damon Salvatore."
"That's right." Matteo grinned, nudging his brother.
"Nice to meet you." Damon smiled pleasantly.
"Please, don't let us interfere. Why don't you guys show Damon what you can do?" Ms Shipp broke out into a grin. She waved at the girls and the one on the far right started to concentrate. A ball of water started to form and grew. She threw it to the girl opposite her, who concentrated and the ball of water started to change colour. From blue to purple. Damon didn't look impressed. Matteo looked at his brother's bored expression and smirked. He nodded at Ms Shipp who clapped her hands. The girls formed a circle each raising an arm, magically lifting the ball above them and all focusing. Snow formed within the sphere. They all leaned slightly backwards popping the sphere and the room filled with snow. That captured Damon's attention. The girls waved their hands and the snow started to melt. The girls raised their arms and the water coated the room hanging above their heads.
"Okay, wow." Damon said. The girls smirked before they all brought their hands together, forming the sphere once again. The water in the room made it's way into the middle drying everything. It decreased in size until there was nothing left. "Even I have to admit, you guys are good. But could you take down a vampire?"
"By take down, he means, defend yourself." Matteo took a step forward pulling his brother back.
"And-"
"And nothing." Matteo cut his brother off.
"Well yeah, we know the immobilisation spell. All we need to do is hold them in place until it's safe."
"Well, anyways, got a few other classes to show off, but congratulations girls."
"By Mr Salvatore. Bye Mr Damon." The class chorused. Matteo waved at them before dragging Damon out.
"What was that about?" Damon asked.
"What was one of the first things I said, when we came here?"
"Um, we'll be heading out tomorrow, nice and early?"
"Before that." Damon frowned.
"It's a school, not a mansion?"
"After that."
"Oh, right." It suddenly dawned on Damon. "Don't corrupt them."
"Exactly."
"I'm not corrupting them."
"You were about to tell them it's okay to hurt others. That violence is first option."
"It's not?"
"Damon, no. Here we urge them to look for new solutions. Find another way, because there will always be another way."
"Really?"
"Do not talk about violence, D." Matteo said before ducking into a different classroom.
"So what's this classroom for?"
"This is history. It's a mixture of species. Teach them the history of their kinds, where they came from, et cetera. Look at this." Matteo grinned. "Can anyone tell me about the origins of vampires?"
"A distraught witch cast a spell to protect her children, though ended up cursing them instead." A student stood up. Damon recognised him as Fabian.
"Very well. And why is it a curse?"
"Because she went against nature, so nature fought back."
"Well done. And who can tell me the origin of witches?"
"Millennia ago, psychics began to appear. Nature's attempt to connect with the humans. Seven people were gifted this. And from them descended all witches and warlocks." Another student stood up.
"That's correct, Maria. Well done. Alright continue with your studies. Apologies for the interruption." The boys walked out. Matteo led his brother to another room.
"So what's this?" Damon looked around. "Vampire 101?"
"That's correct." The teacher in the room looked up at them before back at the students. There was a huge red button at the front of the class. Without a warning the students all stood and rushed over to the button. The kid that got there first remained as the rest sat back down. The teacher put his hands on the young girl's shoulder, explaining something to the rest of the class. Matteo gave a quick wave to the teacher before leaving the classroom.
"This place doesn't seem that bad."
"Admit it. It's growing on you."
"Maybe a little. It's a cute pet."
"It's not a pet. This place- honestly, I hoped you and Stefan would hear about it and find me here. Especially since it's so close by." Matteo said. "I guess, tour's over. Let's go."
"Home now?"
"We'll make a quick stop, say goodbye to friends and then go home." Damon nodded and they left, together.