49

Where are you? Damon texted.
Rome. Matteo sent back a message. He paused and sent another text. We know Mikael's dead, and Siobhan needs some space. We'll be back, don't worry. She just needs some time to process.
How did you know? Damon's reply was immediate.
We saw his body burning, D. I gotta go. Talk to you later. Matteo put his phone away as Siobhan walked into the room. They were in a hotel, in the honeymoon suite. Matteo knew she just needed time to collect her thoughts, and since half the fae population had all taken vacations to visit their families there would be people who needed saving. Hence why they were in Rome.

"Are you ready?" She asked him. She was wearing a black evening gown, her hair pulled up.
"I'm ready." He said. He, himself, was wearing a suit. They were going to some charity event, to keep an heiress safe. She was a witch who'd attracted the attention of a few vampires. "You look absolutely delectable."
"You don't look too bad yourself."
"If only we had time." Matteo grinned at her mischievously.
"Well, why don't you hold that thought? I'm sure we'll have plenty of time tonight."
"You just might be right, darling."
"Darling," she mocked. "I'm always right."
There was a knock at the door. He frowned. "Expecting anyone?" She shook her head and Matteo cautiously walked over to the door. He looked through the peephole but it was covered by a hand. There was another knock and Matteo frowned, before trying to sense who it was. He rolled his eyes as he recognised it. He opened the door, ducking as a punch came this way.
"Come on in, Kaia!" Siobhan called from the vanity table.
"Well you two are all dolled up."
"Kaia, we love you and all, but why are you here?" Siobhan smiled.
"Just checking in. I heard about your father."
"Please- just don't." Siobhan cut her off. "He's dead and that's that."
"I'm sorry."
"It's not your fault. Look, Kaia, thanks for checking in with us, but I'm fine. Or, I will be. We're going to be late."
"We're all here for you. You can come to us anytime."
"Thank you."
"Sure." Kaia walked back out.
"Ready?" Matteo asked and Siobhan picked up a clutch.
"Yeah." She took his arm and they walked out of the hotel. They walked to the elevator and headed down. The valet had Siobhan's car brought over.

"You should go ask her to dance with you." Siobhan spoke up. The two were sitting at the bar drinking champagne as they watched the young heiress awkwardly dance with some old men she clearly didn't want to.
"Is that a trick? Because you know you're the only woman for me." He looked mildly terrified and Siobhan laughed.
"It's not a trick. Look, your the prettiest guy here, hands down, and she keeps on getting approached by men she's required to say yes to. You can talk to her while you dance."
"But then I'd leave you vulnerable to be dance with old fat men. I'm not calling you vulnerable. I'm just making a point."
"I'm not required to say yes. Matty, come on. This is a mission. We gotta do things we don't like sometimes."
"Fine," he sighed. "I love you."
"Oh cheer up. This may be one of the only times you can look at another young, beautiful woman."
"But I don't want to. I only want to look at you."
"Good answer." She smiled. "Now begone." She smiled and Matteo stood up and walked over to the middle of the dance floor. He tapped the shoulder of the man she was dancing with.
"Mind if I cut in?" He asked, and the young heiress smiled politely at the old man before moving over to Matt.
"Not at all." She said. The song changed then anyways to a slow song.
"I'm Matt." He introduced himself.
"I'm-"
"Mona, yes I heard."
"So are you donating tonight?"
"Yes, of course." He smiled. "So, would you care to tell me how you got mixed up with vampires?"
"Wha- what?" She stuttered.
"Why is it that the vampire Jonas Michigan has put a price out on your head?"
"What are you talking about? We have our differences, sure, but there's no price out on my head."
"Yes there is." Matteo twirled her. "See that man in the red suit? He kept offering you a drink? Poison."
"You're lying."
"Uh-uh." Matteo shook his head. "As soon as you leave this party, that woman in the green dress is planning on using a gun she's keeping in her purse."
"How do you know all this?"
"I'm here to help you, Mona."
"How do I know you're not one of the vampires after me."
"Would I have told you?"
"To make me trust you, yeah. So that you're the one to deliver my head to Jonas."
"That makes sense. Okay, so you don't have any reason to trust me, and I don't exactly have a right to ask you to trust me because you don't know me, but I promise I really am just trying to help you."
"Why? What's in it for you?"
"Would you believe me if I said nothing? I just don't like seeing people hurt."
"I'm going to take a chance and believe you. I'm trusting you. But even if you thwart this attempt- I mean even if they fail tonight, why makes you think they wouldn't try again."
"They won't." Matteo said. "I have a plan, but that won't matter if you don't survive tonight."
"Okay."