32

The rest of that day, Matteo spent with his brother, and he was up the next morning at the crack of dawn. He quietly woke Siobhan up and they both got changed before heading back home. It was the day of the vote and it was going to take place early in the morning. The votes were automatically counted, so as soon as everyone voted, the results should be known.
"Nervous?" Siobhan asked him, holding his hand.
"Yes, but can you blame me?" He replied. She squeezed his hand gently before they flew out of the window and up into the sky. He let go of her hand, nudging her slightly before flying ahead. She let out a laugh before following him as fast as she could and barrelling into him. They both held onto each other once more before regaining their balance and entering the valley. As they walked to Matteo's quarters, several fae greeted both him and Siobhan.
"Matt! Siobhan!" Jessamine grinned pulling Oliver over to them.
"Hey, Jessie-" at her glare Matteo amended himself. "-mine. Hi Olly."
"Hey." Siobhan said, laughing at them. Something caught Jessamine's eye as she gasped loudly.
"Is that..?" She grabbed Siobhan's hand before squealing loudly. "Oh my god!"
"What is it?" Oliver peered over. "Oh, wow. Congrats man."
"Thanks." Matteo said, rubbing the back of his neck. The girls seemed to be too engrossed with the ring and each other to pay attention to the boys.
"What is with all this noise?" Kaia's voice boomed and they realised they were all in the middle of the street.
"Sorry." They all stood up straight, before Jessamine shoved Siobhan's hand towards Kaia.
"But look!" She grinned.
"Yes, I heard. I don't believe I've yet offered my congratulations. Have you set a date yet?"
"Not yet, but soon. We'll let you guys know as soon as we do. Jessamine, Kaia. Would the two of you be my bridesmaids?" Siobhan asked, and Jessamine let out another squeal, but this time Olly put a hand to her mouth effectively muffling her.
"I'd be honoured." Kaia grinned and Jessamine nodded, at a loss for words.
"Olly, I'd like you to be one of my groomsmen." Matteo clapped him on the back.
"I'd love to, man. Name the time and place, and I'll be there."
"You have to wear a suit though."
"On second thoughts..." Olly grinned sarcastically.
"It's almost time for the votes, come on and head to the hall." Kaia said sternly, back to being their superior again.
"We'll head straight there." Matteo promised. And they made their way to the grand hall.
It was a beautiful hall, really. With high ceilings and pillars that reached up high. The floor tiles were a beautiful richly red colour. There were two ballot cards labelled simply yes or no. No one cared to keep secrets here. A few minutes later the elders addressed everyone. It was then that Matteo noticed the hall had completely filled up. He'd been too busy greeting his friends.

"He's hiding a lot." Elena was saying to Bonnie on her phone. She was talking about Matteo again.
"Oh come on, Elena."
"I like him well enough, I do, but he's keeping too many secrets."
"Okay, we've known him for a few months. He doesn't have to tell us anything. He doesn't owe us anything. You can't expect him to spill his entire life story to people he just met!"
"What about Damon? He's his brother. Surely he should tell him, at least?"
"That isn't any of our business. What goes on between the brothers is between the brothers."
"Still."
"Elena, come on. He's a good guy."
"He's friends with the originals. How good can he be?"
"He hasn't killed anyone, ever."
"How do you know?"
"Because he never lies."
"Says him. And Siobhan. And he deflects too many questions to be lying."
"I just don't trust him."
"Jeremy looks up to him, you know? He couldn't stop talking about these paintings he got from Matt."
"Eliza Gilbert's. He gave me her journal."
"What does it say?"
"A lot of it's about how much she misses her brother- her twin died when they were ten. She was glad Matteo was around. He helped her a lot."
"She knew Matt?"
"They grew up together. They were really close."
"What else does she say about him?"
"There's a bit about her first boyfriend, and Matt scaring him away. She said Matt was her brother, and that she was glad to have him in her life, even if he could be a pain in the buttocks."
"See. Just give him a chance. It's not like he's hiding the fact that he comes with baggage."
"It's just every time someone's kept a secret it's come to bite us in the backside."
"I'll try communicate with Emily, see if she tells me anything, although the witches aren't talking to me. But she likes him, so either way I wouldn't bet on anything bad."
"Thanks, Bonnie. I wish you were here."
"It can't be that bad."
"Hmm, Caroline's been hanging out with Tyler a lot, the entire summer and now that they're actually dating, they're practically inseparable."
"Where's Siobhan?" She giggled.
"She's been spending time with me every once in a while, but it's not like she can ignore her fiancée. Did I tell you Damon helped Matt pick out an engagement ring?"
"Wait, Damon helped pick it out? The same Damon who's practically allergic to commitment and happiness?"