20

"Siobhan, I love you." Matteo suddenly said. She laughed.
"I love you too, but that was pretty random."
"I've spent so many years pretending that I could be okay with having a part of you because it was better than nothing. But I love you. I love you more than I could ever describe and I really don't want to hold back. I want to give this relationship our all."
"I'd really like that too." She smiled softly.
"I want to marry you." He said, startling her.
"What?"
"Maybe it is too soon, but Siobhan, you are the love of my life and I want you to be my wife. I mean, you're smart and amazing and funny and you're perfect. I love you and I don't want to spend another hundred and forty years without telling you exactly how I feel."
"I kinda feel the same way." She smiled at him.
"Really?"
"Yes!" She grinned widely and leaned over before remembering she was in a tree. "But, I still want a proper proposal. Down on one knee, ring in hand. I want a wedding dress and a reception, and a cake, definitely a cake. I want the whole nine yards."
"Anything you want. We'll have to have it on Earth if we want people from Mystic Falls to come."
"We'll have the celebration in the forest, there's this clearing- not the one Klaus used for his sacrifice, next to your childhood home. We can fix the place up and have the ceremony outside, and people can stay over at the mansion."
"Would you like your brothers to come?"
"I don't know. A part of me does, but if Niklaus comes, he'll try to kill everyone just to ruin it."
"It's up to you, darling."
"I want Finn to walk me down the aisle. But even if we could get him undaggered, he hasn't seen me. He doesn't know I'm alive, I can't seek him out."
"Maybe we can try get the law abolished?"
"The elders would never go for it."
"We'll convince them."
"I love you, you know that, right?"
"I know." Matteo grinned cheekily.
"Next matter at hand. What the hell happened earlier?"
"Right, it's a banshee, the thing we saw."
"So will Katherine be invited to the wedding?"
"God, no!" Matteo frowned. "Let's not tell her until after the wedding. As much as I'd love to flaunt the fact that I am in love with you and only you in her face, I also know she's a diabolical bitch who will do everything to mess the wedding up. And I want the wedding to be perfect."
"Okay, that's fair."
"So how big is the clearing?"
"It's the fields where you grew up! You should know!" Siobhan pushed him slightly.
"Okay, let's talk guest list. So my brothers, Elena, Caroline, and Bonnie, Jeremy Gilbert, Sheriff Forbes, the Lockwoods, Alaric, possible your brothers, Kaia, Jessamine, Olly, Killian, the Elders, Emilia, Adam-"
"Siya, Kamila, Fred, Jake, Sam-"
"Sean, Chloe, Florentine, Clarissa-"
"Kane, Callum, Kieran, Henrietta-"
"Ellie, Arnold-"
"It would take forever to name them. We should do this when we have paper." Siobhan cut in.
"Okay, but ballpark maybe five hundred guests altogether?"
"Sounds right." She agreed before something caught her eye. "I think I saw our creature."
"Yeah, I see it." Matteo was alert his eyes on the creature. He flew over to it, Siobhan by his side. "Hey, um, banshee... husk?"
"Matteo." It recognised him.
"What did you do to me earlier?"
"I know you would never allow me to give Caroline her rightful power. Not if there was the slightest chance she would be hurt." It said. "I gave it to you, instead. You can handle it, and use it. With it, I gave you my memories."
"But I'm not a girl."
"The power of a banshee goes to a female, because she is pure, and closer to nature. You are Fae, and that is as close to nature as one could get, and as such one of the purest creatures to exist."
"But what about Caroline."
"You might not be the perfect host, but you are a close second. Goodbye, Matteo Salvatore. And thank you." The creature nodded its head and started to fade until there was nothing left.
"Did- did that just happen?" Matteo asked.
"I guess you're a banshee."
"But- I mean- I can't be."
"Matteo, calm down. You're a banshee, now. And a Fae. I guess your mission's over. The banshee isn't after Caroline anymore."
"I guess."
"And you're going to need to control your newfound banshee power. Especially if we're having our one-year vacation in a town full of vampires."
"How hard can it be? I've helped hundreds of banshees learn how to use it, and you'll be right by my side."
"Exactly."
"I'm a guy- what if it's different. There has never been a male banshee."
"Matty."
"What if Kaia sends for me?"
"Matteo, you were sent here for a reason."
"Yes but vampires don't know about banshees."
"Sure they do. Only they call them psychics. Just like they call new witches psychic."
"Okay, I can't think." He said, flustered and unnerved. Siobhan grabbed his hand and flew him deeper into the woods.

"The witch house?" Matteo asked dubiously, as they both settled on the ground.
"Well, you're now a creature of death as well as nature. Since the spirits of these witches are here, maybe it'll be an experience for you." Siobhan said and led him inside. Almost immediately he fell to the ground in pain holding his head. Siobhan knelt at his side. "Matty? Is everything okay?"
"Too many voices." He said slowly, before tentatively standing up. "Okay, it's just Emily speaking now. Um... hi?"
"Matteo." Emily spoke to him. Her ethereal spirit standing in front of him. She looked kind of floaty, and not real.
"So I can see ghosts now?"
"The mix of the banshee and faerie in you makes you the most powerful creature. More so than your elders. You can see us, and if you try, you can see those who've passed on as humans."
"Oh. Damn." He said.
"Hold her hand." Emily instructed, gesturing to Siobhan. Matteo did as she asked and a warm golden glow surrounded their joined hands. "Now, think of bringing her in, of opening a curtain so that she can see inside."
"Woah." Siobhan widened her eyes, as Matteo concentrated. "You're Emily?"
"Yes."
"You're really pretty." Siobhan commented.
"Thank you." Emily smiled. "So are you."
"Can I ask you a question?"
"Go ahead."
"You know my mother, right? Esther? Witch bitch? Crazy? Can't stand happiness? Thousand years old?"
"The original's Mother." Matteo added.
"Yeah that too." Emily nodded with a grin and gestured at Siobhan to carry on. "She hexed me when she found out I was fae. I was in a deep sleep for centuries, but when Matteo died and showed up, I woke up. Do you know why?"
"You and Matteo were literally made for each other. I don't wish to sound like a cliché and say soulmates, but that's the only word I can find to describe it. You were drawn to each other, when you first met."
"So... Siobhan and I... we're-"
"Exactly." Emily explained.
"Oh."
"I think he's broken." Siobhan laughed.
"I just need a second." He shook his head.
"Not even Esther's hex could keep you down for the arrival of Matteo."
"So the soulmate thing- how comes it's never been around before? Or heard of?"
"They exist but there's hardly any way to tell whose is who. It was once much more frequent, but a spell was used that had consequences. As such, few only met their soulmates and recognised them." She explained.
"So what you're saying is, the love between Siobhan and I is a precious, rare type hardly ever found?"
"Yes,"
"And that she's the perfect woman for me? That we were made to fit?"
"Yes."
"That's exactly how I feel." He smiled.
"Matteo, we also know you can't have your brother find out about your banshee side, so.." Emily closed her eyes, and suddenly there were a lot of witches behind her. They all closed their eyes and started chanting, their hands raised towards Matteo. The chanting got intense and Matteo gritted his teeth as he held in the pain. They changed faster and faster until suddenly they stopped. "That should help you control it."
"Thank you."
"We owe you more," a witch spoke from the back. "You have done us a thousand favours. We are here to help you."
"I appreciate it, still." He said. "You don't owe me anything."
"On the contrary. We owe you everything." The witches all disappeared save for Emily.
"You should go, Matteo. I hear you have a wedding to plan." She gave him a secretive smile before fading from view.
"Soulmates." Siobhan smiled before walking out.
"How do you feel about it?" Matteo jogged to keep up with her.
"Like you said. No matter what label is put on this relationship, all that matters is that we love one another."
"That's right." He grinned. "So, we should go back home before Damon flips out, because it's the middle of the night."
"Probably." She grabbed his arm and pulled him into the sky, then let go, picking up speed. Matteo shook his head before flying faster himself and caught up to her.
"Are you flying away from me?"
"Mmhm." She said, speeding up again but Matteo kept pace.
"Darling, you forget. I will always be by your side."
"I thought that was supposed to be a metaphorical thing?"
"I'm never just metaphorical." He said as she flew in through the window, Matteo right behind her. She chuckled and walked to the closet.
"Go to your brother, I'm going to get changed."
"What if I want to stay here?" He smirked.
"What if I kick your ass?"
"Ooh," He sucked in a breath. "But you love my ass."
"How sure are you?" She grinned before pushing him out of the room. He smiled and went downstairs to his brother.
"So you guys are back?" Damon asked his brother.
"Hey, Dames."
"Where'd you go?"
"The old witch house, actually."
"You know Caroline had an interesting conversation with her mother. She doesn't remember a thing from your conversation. Just remembers you escorting her home from an old rickety house in the woods. What is it with you and that place?"
"It's private, and quiet. And Emily was helping me out."
"Dead witch, Emily? How did you even communicate without Bonnie?"
"Yeah, Emily. And don't ask questions you know I won't answer."
"How did you compel the sheriff? She's on vervain."
"Damon." Matteo warned. "If you keep digging, I'm going to have to leave. Look, tell you what. Tomorrow, you and I are going to spend the day together. Have some brother bonding time. Leave behind all supernatural. Okay?"
"Fine. No secret calls or leaving halfway though."
"My phone will be off all day."
"Alright." Damon nodded.