56

Matteo and Siobhan were talking to a few random people after Esther's speech when someone caught Matteo's eye.
"Excuse us." He said and pulled Siobhan along with him to Lacey who had just entered. Damon reached her first.
"Okay, Matty." Siobhan stepped in front of him when they were halfway to the duo. "Hey, calm down. Think rationally. You said you weren't going to come between them."
"She's not supposed to be in Mystic Falls. You know it's a battlefield and almost everyone has died. Literally. I do not want Lacey suffering the same fate."
"Okay, but not here. Not now."
"Are you kidding me?"
"Hey, I gotcha. It's okay. We'll keep her safe while she's here. Okay? Like any other-"
"This is not just any other person. It's Lacey. I'm definitely sure I do not want to know what she's doing twenty four seven."
"Jessamine and Olly."
"They're already working."
"Kaia."
"Siobhan, everyone I know in this town has died. There is practically a war going on between my siblings and yours. Not to mention, your mother is here and after last time, well call me crazy but I want to keep Lacey safe not dead."
"Babe, I understand. But not tonight. Let them enjoy themselves tonight. It's a party after all." Matteo didn't look convinced. "How about this? I will talk to Lacey. Just a quick word. Girl to girl. You get yourself another drink."
"But-"
"Not buts."
"Fine." Matteo sighed and walked over to the drinks bar, only to be intercepted by Stefan.
"Whoa, what happened to you?" He asked.
"Not now, Stef."
"Where's your fiancée?"
"What, you think we're together twenty four seven?"
"You kind of are. Practically joined at the hip."
"Whatever, she's just talking to a friend."
"Who's Damon with?"
"What's up with all the questions? You don't look so hot, either?"
"I kind of miss having no humanity."
"Elena?"
"Yeah."
"Come on. Let's you and I go get a drink." Matteo slung and arm around his brother and led him to the bar.

"Hey Lacey." Siobhan greeted. "I didn't know you were in town."
"Where's Matt?"
"I sent him back. You don't want him here so fired up."
"Not again. This is like that time I went to Austin to that concert." Lacey groaned.
"You were sixteen going to a concert full of vampires looking for a yummy meal and didn't tell anyone." Damon looked at Lacey, questioningly.
"To be fair, I didn't know about the vampires."
"That's not the point. Look, just cut Matt some slack. You know he worries."
"Okay but I'm twenty seven. I can protect myself a hell of a lot more now."
"You know this is exactly like that Austin situation. You don't know what you're walking into. Look, Matt isn't too excited about the idea of there being a you two, but he knows it's your choice and he won't try to come between the two of you, but Mystic Falls is dangerous. Just ask Damon who in this town hasn't died."
"I'm sure there's someone."
"Not really. I mean, aside from Tyler and Caroline's mom everyone who knows anything about supernatural has died at least once." Damon said.
"I can take care of myself."
"Matt sees you more as his daughter than as his friend, Lace. And now that my homicidal mother is back from the dead and my homicidal siblings are no longer daggered, well we both worry about your safety. Just next time you wanna do something like this, talk to him. And keep a low profile while you're here."
"I get it, and I'll be careful. Promise. This won't be Austin."
"It already is, let's just hope it's not Portland."
"I thought we were never going to bring that one up again."
"I'm just saying."
"What happened in Portland?"
"Sorry, Damon. That's one thing I'll take to my grave." Lacey shrugged, with a smirk. "And for the record, I see him as a dad too. Best one I ever had. Just don't tell him that."
"I won't." Siobhan winked and started walking back over to Matteo who was sharing a drink with Stefan. She stopped a few feet away, in the midst of a crowd. She smiled as Matteo ruffled Stefan's hair, watching Stefan move his head away.
"Silvia." Klaus walked over to her. She groaned.
"What?"
"I'm sorry. I haven't actually apologised yet, and I know it's late, and maybe it doesn't mean much to you, but I need you to know that I am sorry. You have every right to hate me. You were right, I should have taken better care of Henrik, I shouldn't have even taken him out that night, and I definitely shouldn't have acted like an arse to you."
"I know Henrik's death wasn't your fault. I know he would never want me to blame you, but it's hard, Niklaus. Because Henrik was more than just my brother. Maybe it'll take time, but for now, I don't blame you anymore. And that's the best I can do. I can't just get over it, because no matter what, you're still here, and he's still not."
"Thank you. It's more than I expected, and more than I deserve."
"Don't blame yourself, god knows I've blamed you more than enough the past hundred and forty five years." She offered and he nodded before walking away. She looked over to Matteo who was looking at her in concern. She shook her head and walked over giving him a smile. "You wanna get out of here?"
"What about-?"
"Lacey will be fine. She's gonna be careful, and she's with Damon."
"Is that supposed to be reassuring?"