53

"Wow." Matteo's jaw dropped as Siobhan came down the stairs. "I- you look beautiful. I mean you always do, but wow."
"You don't think it's too much?" She asked.
"No, you look beautiful. I'm a very lucky guy." She smiled at him. He held out his arm and she looped her own through it. "Come on. Let's socialise and mingle."
"Let's." They walked away from the staircase but were stopped by Elijah.
"Hello." He greeted.
"Hey, Elijah. How are you?"
"Klaus told me you tried to stop him from daggering me that night." He didn't look very comfortable. "And he told me, that he and I have been rude to you, Siobhan, for no reason. Your mentioning of Mikael, and then his sudden appearance made me question things. I thought it was the only logical explanation. I want to apologise for my... behaviour towards you all these years."
"Sure." Siobhan said, staring at him.
"I really am sorry for all those things I've said about you and to you, Silvia. I was supposed to be your big brother, but I never treated you any more than a-"
"A common whore? I believe those were the exact words you used to describe me" Siobhan frowned. Elijah looked down. "I forgive you." Siobhan said before walking off.
"Siobhan-" Matteo started but she cut him off.
"Uh-uh. You stay quiet. Look, Olly and Jessamine. Let's go to them." She started walking over to them, fast, dragging Matteo along. She was surprisingly fast in six-inch heels.

The party had begun to fill up within the next few minutes. Damon and Stefan had both arrived and had stayed far apart from each other. Matteo saw Damon approach the mayor, and decided he'd better go to them.
"Excuse us." He said to his friends and led Siobhan over to Damon and the Mayor.
"-the oldest, deadliest, family of vampires moves into your town, you welcome them with a smile." She was saying.
"Hmm, Well at least you know who you're borrowing that cup of sugar from."
"Damon!" Matteo scolded. "I'm sorry, Madame Mayor, my brother seems to lack his manners."
"I'm trying to protect this town. They've assured me they want peace, and I've assured them that I'd enforce it." She glared pointedly at Damon before smiling at Matteo. "Thank you, Matt."
"Mayor Lockwood." Kol walked over, kissing her hand. "We haven't formally met. Kol Mikaelson. I hope your lovely town embraces us just as much as we plan to embrace it."
"Damon Salvatore. Have we met?" He held out his hand for a shake. Kol stands there, ignoring his hand.
"I've met a lot of people. And you don't particularly stand out."
"Play nice, Kol." Siobhan said, in a warning tone.
"This is Matteo, Damon's brother, and-"
"I'm aware, Mayor. Silvia here is my sister."
"Siobhan." She corrected.
"Oh?" The Mayor frowned. "You're a Mikaelson? I wasn't aware."
"Yes, and a soon to be Salvatore, in fact." Siobhan smiled lovingly at her fiancé.
"Congratulations." The Mayor smiled kindly at the couple.
"Thank you." Kol clapped Matteo on the back before walking off. Just then Elena walked in.
"Excuse me, Carol." He reached her just as Stefan did.
"I have a really bad feeling about tonight." Matteo shook his head before smiling at the Mayor and he and Siobhan walked away.
"You look beautiful, sister." Finn's voice sounded from behind them.
"Thank you, Finn." She smiled. "You clean up well, yourself."
"There'll be a speech later. Mother wants you standing with us."
"It's bad enough I'm coming to this party of hers, but I am not standing with her."
"You won't have to be anywhere near her."
"No, Finn. I can't. Not with her. No matter how far I am, I'd still be standing with her. She attempted to kill me and my friends. I won't."
"Don't do it for her. Do it for us. We're still your family Siobhan. Changing your name doesn't change that."
"I would stand with you, I really would, but as long as she is up there, I can't. I'm sorry." She shook her head and walked away into the crowd, leaving Finn and Matteo together.
"There's more, isn't there? Between my mother and Silvia."
"When your mother found Siobhan, she wasn't in a good place. And Esther- she used that against her, got close to her only to betray her." Matteo shrugged. "Siobhan- she was already upset about Henrik, she wanted her mom, and instead of helping her, Esther tried to murder Siobhan and her friends. Hundreds of people just because. I mean, these people were innocent members of the supernatural community who only helped other people. Witches and werewolves who dedicated their time to help others, and Esther felt threatened so she attempted to kill them all."
"I wasn't aware."
"Esther messed with Siobhan's head. She started to think it was her fault for letting herself care for her own mother." Matteo smiled sadly before going after Siobhan. He headed into the crowd and soon found her with Jessamine.
"What'd you say to him?" Siobhan asked.
"He was wondering if there was something else to your hatred for Esther. I told him that she betrayed you."
"Sorry for leaving you behind."
"I've grown used to it." He teased.
"Not funny." She scowled. She looked over to Finn who was talking to Elena at the drinks bar. "What do you think's going on there?"
"Nothing good."
"I was afraid of that." She sighed.