Chapter 20 - Bullying

Once Josh and I got home I decided to call my Dad and see if he was up for seeing me knowing I was pregnant.  On the 2 ring he picked up.

“H-h-hello?” I stuttered.

“Hope? Is that you?”

“Uh…yes. I was just wondering if you were picking me up tonight?”

“Yes of course, why wouldn’t I?” He acted as if nothing ever happened, and for some reason I was really offended.

“I don’t know why. Maybe because you smashed a glass and walked out on me last time I saw you? Maybe because you got super angry and decided to ignore me for over a week when you found out I was pregnant? Or maybe because I have been worrying so much the past days thinking you hate me and that I would have to take permanent residence on the streets?” As the razor sharp words escaped my mouth, my voice quivered and my eyes started to prick with tears. I heard him on the other end of the line excusing himself from someone, possibly his work mate.

“Hope, I’m really sorry about that. You have to understand that I’m a bit shocked, and certainly not pleased whatsoever that you’re pregnant.”

“So you hate me?” I sniffled, while dabbing my tears on the sleeve of my jumper.

No! Never! You’re my daughter I’d never think that. Just please let’s put this behind us? We’ll talk about it closer to the due date alright? Just yeah. I’m picking you up at 7 tonight ok. Now I have to go now, the boss wants me back on the computer. Bye sweetie.” He hung up.

“Hope? Are you alright?” Josh asked, coming out of nowhere and hugging my waist from behind.

“I don’t know.”

~

When Dad picked me up, I wasn’t sure of how I should act around him. It’s so strange because the last time I was in his car with him we had a nice conversation and we just finished spending some time with each other. Now the situation was the total opposite.

When we got home we didn’t talk. I really wanted to call Zayn, but I don’t know if that was the right thing to do.

We’re supposed to be friends. I’m allowed to call my friend, right? But I suppose not if you’re in love with them …

Before I could think of a way to entertain myself my dad knocked on my bedroom door.

“Hi sweetie, someone’s on the phone for you,” Dad said. He handed me the home phone and walked out. I wonder who it could be?

“Hello?” I said.

“Hi, it’s Zayn,” I heard his familiar voice. My heart basically leapt out of my chest and landed on the floor. I forgot how to breathe and I was just frozen in for a moment. “Hope? Are you there?” He asked after a few moments. I was just too stunned to reply.

“Sorry, yeah I’m here. What’s up?”

“Nothing, I just wanted to see how you are.”

“Aw…that’s so thoughtful of you.” I could feel my whole body warming up and a cheesy grin spread across my face. “I’m good, I got home without a trouble. Stuff’s just a bit awkward with Dad and I, I’m not sure what to do really.”

“Oh, it’ll just all fall into place. We worked ourselves out, didn’t we?”

“Haha, yeah something like that.” I changed the topic. “Are you nervous for tomorrow?”