Chapter 27 - Drunk, Hung Over and Sober

I opened my weary eyes. My head was still spinning and my body felt like heavy weights were resting on me. I recognised the white ceiling and the consistent beeping of a machine and I was back in the hospital room. I turned my head a fraction and I saw Zayn sitting in the guest chair on his phone listening to music with earphones. He noticed my movement and immediately stopped what he was doing.

“How are you feeling?” Zayn asked me.

I ignored his question then asked a few of my own. I sat up slowly, trying to ignore the pain then asked, “What happened?” I could vaguely recall what happened in court.

“You were in court and you must’ve gotten overwhelmed and fainted.”

“I know that, I mean. What happened after I fainted?”

Zayn looked and paused for a moment before answering my question. “You were carried out by some nurses; your parents are still in court right now. Worried sick probably,”

I nodded. “How long was I unconscious?”

“Not long. An hour probably,” Zayn shrugged. “Now tell me, how are you feeling?” Zayn smiled as he took my hand. His face was stress free and he looked relaxed. I never really observed Zayn that much, but as I thought about my answer I took in the sight of this beautiful human being sitting on front of me. His eyes were wide and when he smiled with his perfectly curved lips showing his straight, white teeth, his eyes would crinkle and narrow. He took my breath away.

“I feel uh…overwhelmed. Still. I’m like a…a shock. I remembered everything I ever did with Josh,” I stuttered, combing my brown hair away from my face with my hands. Zayn gave me a disapproving look, and then tucked a few loose strands of hair behind my ear.

“Must’ve been quite a blow remembering a thousand different things all in a split second,” He commented.

“Yeah, it was. I mean, I fainted.”

Zayn chuckled. “Fainting is one of your strong points, Hope.” I smiled up at him. “You hungry?” he asked.

“Yes. I’m starving, let’s catch a bus to the nearest fast food place,” I suggested slowly getting out of bed. I was still dressed in what I was wearing this morning, and I was quite uncomfortable.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Zayn called. “You fainted not long ago and you want to get out already?”

“Yep, pretty much.” I confirmed. Zayn had an unsure look on his face but I gave him a puppy dog look and he gave in. “Haha, I think I can make you do anything for me if I gave you that look.”

“Hope, as cheesy as this sounds; even if you didn’t give me that look I would climb Mt. Everest up and down for you if you asked,”

I peered up at him and I was about to say “Yeah right,” but his face was dead serious. “Um…I…I uhh I’m going to get changed into something more comfortable. Wait for me outside.”

Zayn reluctantly agreed and went out of the room. I got changed into a pair of jeans, a jumper and a pair of ugg boots. I honestly didn’t care how I looked like. I gave my hair a quick brush and met Zayn outside the door.

“You ready?” He asked.

“Yup.”

I smiled at him and grabbed his hand and we walked to the reception where I signed out, then we walked to the nearest bus stop.

I was pretty calm about everything that happened. I guess I refused myself to think about what happened in court, what I remembered and I just pushed the bad thoughts to the back of my head. I was going to worry about them in my own time, not when I was with Zayn. Tomorrow Zayn and Lorrie would be both in school and I would be by myself undistracted, so I’ll just panic then. I didn’t want my collapse to ruin my mood.