Chapter 28 - Dizzy

It’s the evening before I would make my return back to school. It has been 1 week since the court order and 3 weeks since the night it happened. I was back in my dad’s house gathering my things for school the next day whilst I talked to him about what was going to happen to me. I am in my 3rd Term of year 11 and things weren’t looking so good. Despite my amnesia, I don’t remember anything I learned at school. I don’t even remember how my “new” school looks like and dad was saying to me how there is a 80% chance I would have to repeat year 11, unless I could make up 4 months of studying…which is pretty much impossible. The thought bummed on me. This means I would have to stay another horrid year in this school, and in year 12 Zayn would be off to university and I wouldn’t be seeing him every day.

I didn’t really want to think about what was going to happen. I was just going to let it come at me. I can’t change the future, I can’t exactly choose my path in life so whatever. At least I would have a 2nd opportunity as a year 11 student without having to change schools, get pregnant, get amnesia and having all this drama mess with my head.

It felt good to be back in the apartment with dad. When I found out I lived in an apartment with Dad I couldn’t remember living there, how the apartment looked like or where it was located. As soon as I saw it though, I immediately remembered everything; my bedroom, the kitchen, the bathroom, the TV and it felt as if I never forgot it in the first place. The same thing happened with school.

Zayn picked up me at 8:15am on Monday morning and we walked the familiar path to school like normal. By 8:30am a majority of the school was already there. I remembered absolutely everything; I was able to match names to faces and teachers, I remembered the school ground and my routine. There were a few people who my mind refused to remind me, but Zayn warned me to stay away from them because they were cruel and rude.

“We’ve got the first 2 periods together, which is good so you can get introduced to everything,” Zayn said to me while I fiddled with my locker trying to remember my combo.

“Yeah,” I said whilst spinning random numbers on my lock. “I remember 97% of things here. ARGH IT’S NOT OPENING!” I yelled frustrated. A few people stared but I was used to unwanted attention. I was used to disapproving looks from adults when they used to peer over my baby bump, I was used to people whispering about me behind my back and I was certainly used to things going wrong.

“I’ll open it. I know your combo,” Zayn said pushing past me and spinning the lock left and right.

“You could’ve opened it before I spent 10 minutes trying to figure this thing out!”

“I wanted you to remember! But that didn’t work. Its open now so don’t fuss. I was researching your kind of amnesia and I found out that retrograded amnesia victims would lose memory to certain things.” Zayn said making conversation as I grabbed my necessary books.

“You creep. You were researching my own disease. Shouldn’t I be doing that?”

“I was curious,” he shrugged. “Anyway, by certain things I mean that your mind is blocking stuff like bad memories, people you hate or just bad experiences. The memories can be triggered though; but I don’t know what you would have to do.”

“So why is my mind blocking you? Did I hate you?” I asked puzzled. We were walking towards our next class and we were 10 mins early just to avoid the crowd and curious eyes.

“Your mind isn’t blocking me, it’s just struggling to remember me because like, I’m not trying to sounding cocky or anything, but I was one of the main people in your life. For example…um…I’m just gonna make this up on the spot. Say Lorrie’s favourite colour was purple and her least favourite colour was green and all the other colours like pink and stuff are in between. You would remember all the colours except for green and purple because they were the main things,” he explained. I sort of understood what he was meaning, but it was a little rough around the edges.