Chapter 3 -Innocent Face

Innocent Face
Arieon's POV

Believe it or not, I attend college, as a normal student

I really don't know how Dom managed to allow this, but yes it happened. Apparently, Gio had a lot to do with it too. It had sparked quite the argument between the two, but they could agree on wanting me to have somewhat of a normal life and qualifications to allow me to be able to earn my own keep if the need ever arises.

I was pulled out of high school and homeschooled for most of my last two years. I finished early and was able to start college early. After all the struggles I was pursuing my degree in biomedical engineering.

I rolled off my bed and slipped on my fluffy bedroom slippers; before scurrying to my bathroom. I showered and readied for school, throwing on some black denim shorts, a black v-neck t-shirt to match and a pair of black sneakers.

I stay at home because come on there's no way Dom would let me stay there without supervision and it wasn't that far anyway. I put my hair up in a messy bun to finish, then grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs.

"Ciao Gio, Dom." I said as I walked into the kitchen. We weren't a family that usually had breakfast, because most of the time the guys were tending to their business; meanwhile Mia and I were always late for class.

"Where's Mia?" Dom asked.

"Right here." She came in, went straight to Gio and the couple shared a deep, passionate kiss.

"Ewwww." Dom and I grimaced in unison.

They separated and Mia flipped her brown bouncy hair to the back. She was a Latina and really some eye candy, especially in the denim short shorts and yellow muscle tee she had on. She's been with Gio for about 3 years now.

Mia lives here with us. She and Gio initially met because of my schooling. We attended a private high school, where Julius got to follow me around. Mia became one of my best friends, that I would often sneak out to meet. A few times Gio came to get me back home and would see her. I guess somewhere along the line they hit it off. Dom, on the other hand, had no one in his life recently, as in a few years now. Between the mafia and I, I'm not sure which keeps him on his toes more.

"Okay,okay let's go Mia." I rolled my eyes. She went to the same college as I did and she was a law student. I was year two and she had started classes in spring, she graduated early. Wedidn't have classes together, and ever since Mia got with Gio she had become more responsible, so sometimes I'd skip a lecture and go hang out. Nothing too wild.

******

My last session for the day ended at 1pm and I met up with Mia. We found that time flew by, as we talked and snacked on all kinds of junk food. I glanced to my watch, it was five and we should've been home awhile ago. I stood up and bent over to grab my book bag when an elbow connected with my ribs sending me to the floor.

"Aye that's Luca." Mia said.

"Lu, who?" I  huffed as I pushed myself off of the grass and to my feet, before I turned to look for whatever she was showing me.

"The all black suit, Luca Rivera, leader of the mafia Dom and Gio partnered with. He seems to be here on business." She explained.

My eyes fell upon the back of a tall and built man, clad in an all black suit just as she said. His tousled, light brown hair looked like a bird's nest from the back, as he ran a lazy hand through it.

"Ohhh." I said as the words she spoke rung bells of conversations I've heard in the house.

I studied Luca carefully. This was my first time seeing him. I've just heard Dom talk about the Rivera. I really had no interest in the partnership my brothers had made, despite my desire to be more involved in the business. I was against partnering with anyone. I believed that we could've went on by ourselves. We weren't having much trouble in the first place, but Dom thought that partnering would have more benefits and it was true.

The man finally turned around and I studied him carefully. His looks were totally different from the summary I had created of him. Who would have thought that with tousled, short, light brown hair and such a chiseled jaw this man would be taking innocent lives and running a mafia.

He locked eyes with mine for a second before he continued walking out the college gates.

"Look at everyone carefully." Mia instructed, pulling me out of my daze.

"Huh?" I said as I scanned our environment and the people in it. It took mere seconds to pin point ten males who I could tell were from the mafia because of their demeanor.

"Ten." I stated to Mia.

"Luca's men. See how easy you recognized those mafiosos. You need to always be aware of your surroundings A, you'd avoid a lot fights if you did." She smiled half heartedly. She was right, it took less than two seconds for me to scope out who was with the Rivera. I'm sure she's implying that I could've avoided the situation at the flower shop, which was true too.

"You need to be more careful, if you're gonna keep pulling these stunts you need to screw your head on right. You're risking the family Arieon." She continued, and her voice had seem to grow heavier with each word. I dusted grass and specks of dirt off of my shorts and thighs. Sighing as I bent forward once more to pick my bag up.

"Look Mia, thank you for your words, but I know what I'm about." I breathed while I straightened back up and threw my bag over my shoulder.

"But do you really, you even forgot  your gun Arieon." She scoffed, her demeanor had changed. She was getting me mad now and my fists were balled at my sides. I grabbed on to the edge of my shorts to try and dampen the urge of decking her. Sure she's dating my brother, but she has no right to speak to me like this. Never mind that, what she was saying was true and seemed to stem from concern, but not for me.

"You're bringing way too much unnecessary attention to the family and to yourself. Every time you screw up Gio." She stopped as she said his name.

There it was. She was concerned for Giovanni. I couldn't blame her and I couldn't be mad at her for it. It's natural.
I took a deep breath and relaxed my arms, letting my palms rest flat against my thighs. She isn't too confident in us or our world. Especially the safety we claim for ourselves and her, but it was true, every word she spoke. Giovanni and Dominic would always be the first two to walk out into open fire to protect the family.

The way she is aware of her surroundings so well, she's scared for her safety. Mia was never trained for anything, she never knew anything about organized crime before Gio. She had a point though, I don't have just myself to think about.

'Sometimes I think everything would've been better if I had just left you where I found you.' Dom's words rang in my head. 

I placed my hand on Mia's shoulder and said nothing. She caught my gaze and then I turned to walk out of the school.