chapter twenty

Jayla

Jayla

"Oh my gosh, you can't be serious." I was dying laughing as Lucas told me a story about how he got bullied in elementary school.

"Yeah, that big ass nigga took my sandwich, and that was the last straw. My momma had put extra turkey on it for me, and ain't no way I was gone let him have my shit." He continued.

"So what did you do?"

"Shit, I stood up from my seat and flexed my little bitty muscles. I told him straight up he was gone have to fight me for my sandwich." I was cackling at this point.

"Did you get the sandwich back?"

"Hell nah, that nigga beat my ass then gobbled my shit down and made me watch." He finished the story.

"I cannot. Oh my gosh, well atleast you tried." I wiped a tear from my eye from laughing so much.

"Never tried that nigga again, and to avoid getting my ass beat anymore, I started to tell my momma to just make me two from now on so I could just give him one. I spent the rest of the year eating my shit in the bathroom."

"Damn, you let him bitch you." I joked.

"Man that nigga was 230 in the 4th grade. Wasn't shit else to do." He laughed.

Over the week, I spent all the time that I wasn't job hunting, on the phone with Lucas and it amazed me at how much he made me smile. We talked about everything from our childhoods to our goals in life. I found out that he had always dreamed of being a poet, while I on the other hand wanted to one day own my own hair salon.

My mom offered to put me through hair school, if I stayed in Miami, but I wanted to do that on my own. I didn't want her to have something else to hold over my head.

"Thank you for giving me a call that night though, I honestly thought I'd never hear from you once I realized that you didn't give me your number." Lucas said.

"Damn, you thought I'd play you like that, after what you did for me?"

"Shit, now a days, you never know what be going through you women's heads. Y'all be crazy." He said making me laugh.

"No, and plus, I wanted to know about you. You seemed nice." I admitted.

"I just ain't want you going home empty handed, and you fine as shit, so what could I do?" I blushed at his statement.

"Thank you." I grinned.

"You should let me take you out."

"I'll think on that."

"Okay Ma, don't have me waiting forever, I gotta finish up my cooking though, so I'll holla at you." He said before hanging up.