chapter fourty-nine

"No, I won't do this." Nyla said to Chris who was attempting to attack her with kisses.

After him leaving her, and expressing his feelings for Layla, Nyla didn't want to be bothered by him. She'd learned from her past, that sometimes you just can't give out second chances. Chris didn't take her feelings into consideration, so why should she?

"Nyla, Please. I'm sorry. I was stupid, and I didn't think about how what I did, would affect the way things were going with us." Chris pleaded.

"Well, you should have." Pushing him out the door, Nyla slammed the door. She slid her back down it, falling to the floor. She felt saddened. She loved Chris, but she had to put herself first.

___________________________________

Shit.

Chris punched a hole into the wall of his crib. How could he be so stupid to have let Nyla slip away? She made him happy, and here he was, without her.

Calling his father for answers, Chris dialed the number.

"Hello." His father answered in a tone that seemed as if he'd just awaken.

"Sorry to bother you dad, but this shit is crazy." He put his face in his hands, and let out a long sigh.

"What'd you do now?" His dad asked him.

"I fuc- I mean messed up."

"How so?"

"I expressed to my girl the feelings that I had for Layla."

"Ahh, son, it's good that you were honest, but why did you start a relationship with the girl if you were feeling somebody else?"

"I didn't realize the feelings until I saw her with someone else."

"Hmm.. I see. And how do you feel about this other girl?"

"Dad, Nyla is everything. She's beautiful, laid back, listens to me, she's smart. I really like her, but I didn't want to hurt her."

"Chris, I know how close you and Nyla were, but as you said, she has someone. Let her be happy if you really care for her."

"You right.. but how do I fix things with Nyla?"

"I'm not even going to sit here and lie to you son, you have some ass kissing to do." His dad chuckled into the phone before hanging up.

_________________________________

Heading to Layla's house, Chris decided to see her one last time. This wasn't in hopes of getting her to leave Lucas, but rather get some closure in his friendship. He would take his father's advice, and care for her from a distance.

"Chris... what are you doing here?" Layla answered the door in a whisper, not wanting Lucas to get upset seeing Chris at her door.

"Look, I came here to apologize. The day we met up, and you tried to rekindle our friendship, I couldn't let myself do that. If I were to have anything with you, at this point, I couldn't be just friends. I guess seeing you with someone else, fucked with me." Chris admitted.

Layla was shocked at his words. She never knew of Chris to feel this way about her, and although she once had a small crush on him, she buried those feelings a long time ago. She realized that Lucas was everything she wanted, and as for Chris, she viewed him as a friend, and thats it.

"Chris, why do you feel the need to tell me this? I have a husband." She held out her ring. "And two kids."

Feeling a sting in his chest, Chris could see that he'd just embarrassed himself. "You looked beautiful at your wedding.. I just wish you weren't doing it so soon you know."

Layla wondered how he knew what she looked like at her wedding.. He wasn't even there.

"Well, thank you... But this isn't right. I'm sorry Chris, but I have to get back to my family." She began to close the door.

Putting his foot to stop it, Chris looked in her eyes one last time. "I love you Layla."

Feeling the need, Layla wrapped him into a hug, allowing him to feel comforted. Although she had no feelings for him, this was her friend, and she hated to see him upset.

He pulled away. "Thank you Layla." He turned away, allowing her to close the door. He didn't know where they stood, but he was okay with whatever she decided. Now, it was time for him to fix things with Nyla. He wanted happiness.