chapter thirty-nine

*8 months later*

"Please be careful with him Lucas, he's tiny

"Please be careful with him Lucas, he's tiny." Layla warned Lucas.

Getting pregnant the night she lost her virginity, Layla was shocked at the news. A little frightened at first, she didn't know what to do. With the assurance from Lucas that everything would be fine, and a reminder of how well off she was, Layla was at ease and decided to go through with this blessing.

"I got him, that's daddy's baby." Layla smiled at how Lucas interacted with their son Leonardo.

She loved the thought of one day having a family with him, although it was sooner than she expected, she still was granted her wish.

"He's falling asleep. I'll go put him in his crib." Lucas walked to the bedroom in Layla's apartment in which they'd made into a nursery for little Leonardo.

Taking a glance at his son, all Lucas could do was smile

Taking a glance at his son, all Lucas could do was smile. Placing a kiss on his forehead, he laid him down gently in his crib.

Closing the door, Lucas sat in the chair next to his son's crib.

"Baby boy, I want you to know that I'll always love you. Being there for you, is something you'll never doubt I'll do. Shit, honestly, bringing you into this world was a sign from God that all my pain, is over. Yo big head ass momma, she got a nigga wrapped around her finger. I'll do anything for that girl. I love her a lot, so when I planted the seed that grew into you, I knew she was gone be round forever." He smiled thinking about when he'd first laid eyes on Layla.

"What I'm trynna say is, I'm thinking bout putting a ring on her shit. What you think about that?" He asked a sleeping Leonardo.

As if he could hear his dad, a little grin appeared on his little peaceful face.

"You right little man, that's what I'ma do." He got up out the chair and headed back to the living room, where he found Layla sleeping just as peacefully as their baby.

"I know you tired Ma. But I got you." He spoke, placing a soft kiss on her cheek.

Taking a glance at the ring that was hidden under the bathroom sink, Lucas sighed

He wanted nothing more than to spend his lifetime with Layla and Leonardo, and more if it was God's plan.

He didn't want to rush the engagement, but he couldn't wait any longer. He had no desires to be with any other female once he met Layla.

He hoped that when he popped the question it wouldn't scare her away.

"Please make this the right decision." He looked up at the ceiling.