chapter fourty- eight

Okay y'all so I might have lied..... this book will definitely be more than 50 chapters. I didn't notice how many there already was . 😩 I'm getting so bored w/ this book. 🤦🏾‍♀️ anyways, on to the chapter 🙄

_____________________________

"What the hell you mean we're done? After all this time? What about how I feel?"

"Look, I care about you, but I'd be lying if I said I was all the way in this shit right now."

Holding back tears, Nyla watched as Chris stormed out of the house, leaving her standing in the doorway looking foolish.

Thinking everything was perfect, Nyla was hurt seeing Chris decide to just leave. After nights together, and the incredible sex they had just shared. What was she doing so wrong?

Hopping in his car, Chris sped home. He didn't want to be bothered. Just this week, he'd watched how Layla had married Lucas. Yes, he cared for Nyla, a lot, but seeing Layla married now did something to him. He was her best friend for so many years, they shared so many moments, so many secrets, a special bond.

Feeling like he should have stepped up to the plate a long time ago, he knew now was too late.

He wanted to work things out with Nyla, but right now he just needed time to himself to gather his thoughts.

______________________________

Sitting, alone, in the dark, Nyla let tears trickle down her face. Why did she always get her heart broken? What was she missing?

Chris seemed so perfect to her, but to see him just walk away, she didn't feel anything but confused.

She tossed and turned in the bed, just wishing that he'd return, but that never happened.

_________________________________

"So what you're saying is, this is over?" Nyla looked across the table at Chris, who'd asked him to meet her at a restaurant down the street.

"Just for now, until I figure things out."

"Figure what out? I thought you were happy, I thought we were good." She felt herself getting emotional.

"Listen, I don't wanna hurt you." He sighed looking into her eyes.

"What do you think you're doing now?" A tear slipped down her face.

"I'm doing what's right." Chris got up, trying to wipe her tears, only to be pushed away.

"And how do you expect this to make me feel?" Nyla asked.

"Look, I have feelings too, which is why I'm doing this. I came to a realization that I maybe did have feelings for Layla. I love you Nyla, don't get me wrong, but she was my friend for years, and it's something I can't control." Chris finally admitted.

Hearing these words burned a whole in Nyla's heart. Here she was hearing the man she loved confess his feelings for the woman who was now married to her ex. It was all so fucked up to her.

"You sound a damn fool!" Nyla screamed, not noticing she was drawing attention, but she no longer gave a fuck. "That girl is married, with TWO kids. What makes you think you even stand the chance?"

"I don't want a chance, like I said, me and you will work this out, just not now." Chris got up, placing a kiss on Nyla's forehead, before leaving her to herself in the restaurant.

Putting her face in her hands, Nyla began to regret even taking another male serious. She didn't know what to think or what to do.

Chris was heart broken about his decision to take a break with Nyla, but what else was he to do? He couldn't pretend to not have feelings for Layla, so he thought this was best. He would miss Nyla's company, her smile and the way she made him feel, but he wanted to be the best him for her.