Winter is coming

According to Mahiru.. his school is right around the corner... Kyoko walked down the street, she was getting better at navigating the city. Soon she had reached Mahiru's school. Mahiru had plans for the day so she decided to tag along, she didnt want to bother Licht with his third rehearsal, since last week she had already attended his second one. While waiting outside his school, she thought about her old school. She had only been to elementary school and Junior high school, but she stopped after... her grandfather.. passed.

She heard the bell ring and soon students started walking out. Kyoko strained her neck to find Mahiru in the crowd. Soon, she heard a familiar voice, "Hey! Kyoko-san!" The brown haired boy ran toward her waving excitedly. "Oh, hey sunshine." "Sunshine? Is she your girlfriend?" The boy behind Mahiru commented while snickering away. "No she's not. She's a friend from the country side." Mahiru crossed his arms.

Kyoko observed the two boys behind him. One was a little shorter, with spikey blonde hair, gray eyes and wore a red headband. The other was taller, he was longish brown hair and big brown eyes, much like Mahiru. "Kyoko-san, this is Ryusei and Koyuki, they're my childhood friends." "Ah, nice to meet you, I'm Kyoko." She shook the boys' hands. "Kyoko-san will be accompanying us today", Mahiru turned to Kyoko, "We're heading over to a nearby shopping centre, we have to get some supplies before we head off for our winter break." "Yeah.. about that.. uh, Kyoko, right? Isnt it cold?", asked Ryusei. Kyoko blinked a few times, she realised that Koyuki was rubbing his arms and the other two were wearing their school's winter uniform.

"Oh.. um, i mean it is chilly but i'm okay.", Kyoko reassured them. Mahiru then realised that Kyoko was only wearing one layer. "Well.. Okay, if you say so. Come on.", They head off to the shopping centre.

Soon they reached their destination, thats when Koyuki got a huge scare, from Merlin who flew over his head and landed on Kyoko's shoulder. "U-uh.. is that a falcon..?", asked Koyuki who was hiding behind Ryusei, which, wasnt really effective. "Oh, yeah, he's my pet, Merlin" Ryusei got closer and tried to touch Merlin before he squawked at him loudly. "Rude.", said Ryusei, eyeing the falcon. "Ah, let's not waste anymore time, alright?", Mahiru was getting a little nervous.

Kyoko had never been to an actual shopping centre, just some convenient stores nearby her farm for food and supplies. To her, this place was big and spacious, just how she liked it. Mahiru found it odd that for such an outgoing girl, she wasn't really exposed all these places and things that are considered normal in his life. "Hey Kyoko-san, we're just headed for the supermarket, I have to stock up on cup noodles and chips.. "He leans in to her side so the other wouldnt hear, "Otherwise Kuro will keep asking me to go out in this cold weather to get snacks for him.." "Ah, i should probably get some stuff too.. Maybe more clothes, i only have so many back at the hotel.", Kyoko looked at some clothing stores.

Mahiru picked up a basket and headed into the store. They spreaded out to get their own supplies. Kyoko walked down the aisle looking for some green tea satchets. She noticed a man infront of her, picking out some canned drinks before turning to her, "Oh, do you need anything?" Kyoko would say that he was good looking, he wore goggles on his head and had spikey brown hair. He wore a brown vest and an inner long sleeved shirt, and his boots was strapped and old. But what bothered Kyoko most was his big red eyes. She backed away, "Oh, nothing it's alright." 'Winter is coming, you should be careful.. She will come back.", the man said with a hint of concern in his eyes. He turned away and quickly ran off with his drinks.

She... is he one of Her subclasses...? Why would he try to help me..? Her thoughts were interrupted by Mahiru who walked up to her, "Have you gotten everything you needed?" "Ah, just one last thing!", she quickly picked up her satchets. "Ok got 'em."

Their group soon left the store, Ryusei was annoyed that they had to follow Kyoko into a girl's clothing store. "Dont worry i'll be quick! I just have to try them out first to see if they fit." Kyoko rushed into the changing area. Mahiru didnt mind waiting for Kyoko, neither did Koyuki, but Ryusei was twitching a little. "Ah why do we have to wait for her? Are you sure she's not your girlfriend, Mahiru-kun?" "I told you she's not my girlfriend!", Mahiru crossed his arms again. Kyoko walked out of the changing area and walked to the counter. She then just noticed that Merlin had settled himself onto Mahiru's backpack.

After she got her clothes the four went out of the shopping centre. "Oh hey.. Kyoko-san, are you joining us at the hot springs tomorrow?", asked Mahiru. "Ooh~ You're going to a hot spring with a girl?~", Ryusei continued to tease Mahiru. "Tch.", Mahiru was trying his best to ignore him. "Hm..? Oh yeah of course! I wouldnt want to miss out.", Kyoko nudged Mahiru and winked. "Ah, we live this way.. ,We'll see you when school reopens Mahiru-kun!" Koyuki waved as he and Ryusei walked in their seperate directions. "Hey why don't you come over to my place for a while, Kyoko-san? If you're free of course..", Mahiru smiled and helped Kyoko with a grocery bag. "Ah.. of course!"

Once Mahiru had opened the door, Merlin transformed back, "Ah... shade.." They walked into the house. "Oh, you live alone..? Where are your parents..?", asked Kyoko as she looked around, noticing that the place was spotless and clean. "Ah... uh... They..., Mahiru paused and looked down with his arms crossed, "they're gone..." Kyoko turned around abruptly, Mahiru was on the verge of tears. "I-i'm so.. so sorry.. Sunshine..", she placed both her hands on his shoulders. Mahiru shook his head, "A-ah.. But.. It's alright Kyoko-san, my uncle took me in when no one wanted to...," He smiled warmly at her, but it faded when he saw her tearing up, "Kyoko-sa-" She pulled him into a hug, "You are more like him than i thought..." She could feel her tears well up and fall. Mahiru was a little tense, but he felt how tightly Kyoko really held onto him, he placed his hand on her back, patting it. Kuro and Merlin were watching from the side of the room. "Who..?", asked Kuro. "She.. used to have a friend back home...", replied Merlin. "Oh.."

Kyoko and Merlin spent some time at Mahiru's house, maybe even longer than expected. They even stayed till dinner. Mahiru and Kyoko both cooked up something. Merlin and Kuro were whining about how long the food took, and Mahiru would yell at them to stay quiet while Kyoko giggled away in the kitchen.

But something changed that day, they way Kyoko saw Mahiru was now different, he was so familiar yet he was a stranger she had just met about a few weeks ago, she felt like she needed to protect him, like she was responsible for him. She, in a way felt responsible for her old friend.

 But then, they were only 10 when it happened... 

Winter was coming... and so was his anniversary.