Operation Pity

The four make their way toward the visible mop of peach hair bobbing in the midst of the crowd. Namjoon moves fast, even though he has no idea of the trouble times four on his tail.

His books weigh down his course, but he doesn't wince, knowing that they are his only distraction from his recent - and bad - breakup. It seems petty, and he regrets it, cursing himself for the seventieth time that day for getting caught up in something other than biology.

There are not many people around him, but more than three is a crowd for him. He re-adjusts his glasses before they slip down the bridge of his sweaty nose, pushing them up with his index finger, and pushes back his mop of dyed hair.

Once again, he jostles the stack of fat books hanging like a heavy baby in his arms, and almost power walks away from the tall building as if making an escape. He feels bad, but he knows not even the library offers him a proper refuge from his haunting feelings and self-deprecating thoughts.

It's not my fault, he tells himself. Jin was a worthless coward who didn't know what he was losing when he double-dated in the first place.

But the tumblr-induced thoughts do no good to his beaten-down person. He sighs, and shakes his head, as if trying to shake off the cobwebs of his thoughts, and moves forward.

Unfortunately for him, trouble times four as mentioned above catches up.

"Hey, Joon," A hand deposits itself heavily on his shoulder, pulling him back to turn his form around. The boy's eyes widen as he turns, not offering much resistance against the unknown person.

"How have you been?" Kim Taehyung himself offers him a bright white smile, and Namjoon secretly wonders what kind of flourides he uses for his boyfriend.

Boyfriend.

His heart plummets again, and the look on his face must have been especially bad, because the gray-haired boy frowns at him. "What's wrong? Ah, wait, I'm sorry. Of course I know what's wrong."

The boy only offers him a tight-lipped smile, not intent on recieving what he doesn't wish to attract at all - pity. "Yeah, it's okay, Kim. I'll be fine. It's just a guy."

He attempts to slide away from the boy's loosening grip, but Taehyung's fingers tighten on the material of his woollen sweater. "He's not just a guy, Namjoon. It's okay; I won't judge. Everyone feels bad after being cheated on...but did you just call me Kim? Damn."

It is only then that Namjoon's eyes flicker to behind the slightly shorter boy, to the three others trailing behind him. Jungkook and Lisa he recognises from a few get-togethers held by Y/N in a stubborn fit - but the new brunette makes his eyebrows furrow in confusion.

She looks familiar.

"Kim Namjoon?" Jennie speake up, giving him a dimpled smile as she notices his gaze on her. "You're from the Debate Club, right?"

"Uh, right." He remembers the girl from the meetings. "Kim Jennie."

"Hey." She says kindly. "We were - well - a little worried about you, since you weren't picking up your phone and-"

"Seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth." Lisa finishes casually from next to the girl, her posture relaxed and careless as he remembers. Jennie shoots her a cross look, but she pays no attention. "Where the hecking heck were you?"

"Uh, around." He says awkwardly, and notices Jungkook studying him intensely from the side. "I was just feeling little sick, so I just..."

He doesn't finish, but it is clear that none of them buy it. Not even Namjoon.

"It's okay, hyung." Jungkook says, shrugging. "We understand. Jin hyung - I don't even know if I should call him that or something worse - was a loser. He didn't deserve you, but you shouldn't beat yourself up over it."

"What he means to say is," Taehyung interrupts, surprising the peach-haired boy with the compassionate look on his face, "you don't need to bear it alone. You have friends, even if you don't consider it as such. No one should suffer PBSD on their own."

"PBSD?" Jennie questions, miffed.

"Post-Breakup Stress Disorder." He answers promptly, before scowling. "Stop making me look stupid."

Lisa raises an amused eyebrow.

"Look," Namjoon speaks up, feeling a little uncomfortable at the attention and unwanted pity that seems to radiate from the group before him. "I appreciate it and all, but I'll be fine. I don't need your help or anything. So it's okay."

His voice is bitter at the end, and Taehyung looks surprised at his tone which is usually polite and formal. Namjoon bites his lip.

"Bye then." He says awkwardly.

"Namjoon-" Jennie starts.

"See you around." He cuts her off, his smile forced, and turns around. Hastening his pace, he walks away from the group that still seems not to have overcome their surprise at his uncharacteristic behaviour.

He doesn't need any more pity.

|

AYO WASSUP WASSUP I'M BACK WITH ANOTHER UPDATE

sorry for the late :') but the next few chapters are going to be a ride lmao. the main plot is going to RIDE INTO ACTION BOOM CHICKEN SOUP

okay ily you guys stay safe and happy and hydrated! <333

love and love,
Manx.