Operation Feather

"What day is it?"

Yoongi looks at you for a second, and then bites his lip. "I...is it your birthday?"

You give him a look. "It's the first day of March."

"Oh." A blink. "Is that important?"

"Well...no." A slow sigh leaves you, and you roll over to his side of the bed, throwing an arm over his ankles. "But it's closer to summer."

"Right." Taehyung mumbles from his position under the pillow. "A day closer."

"That's actually a lot."

"Twenty four hours. One thousand one hundred and forty minutes." Namjoon takes a break to breathe. "Eighty six thousand and four hundred seconds."

Your best friend sighs. "Point made."

There is another silence, in which the peach-haired boy raises his head, still lying on his stomach on the cold floor. No one looks back, and he pushes up his crooked glasses.

"Hyung," Jungkook whines suddenly. "I want another Twix."

"Not after you ate my last one, you brat," Taehyung raises his neck to narrow his eyes at the boy sprawled across his tummy. "Don't you dare think I'm going to forget that anytime soon."

"That was, like, a whole two weeks ago."

"Your point being?"

"I want a Twix." The brunet protests vigorously, crossing his arms over his chest. "We could go to that restaurant, too."

"Lisa's there." Namjoon pipes up suddenly, and closes his laptop. "I think I'll go..."

Suga snorts. "I know for a fact that Jin's going to be there."

The taller's ears go pink. "I needed to meet Jennie for the club-"

"Yeah, yeah, sure."

"Please." Jungkook looks at Taehyung with big eyes, rounding them purposely in the way that he knows is his boyfriend's Kryptonite. He even throws in a slight pout. "We need to be productive, too."

The gray head groans. "Fine. But you're buying two for me."

The boy sits up with a grin. "Sure." He pulls him up. "Let's see," He adds in a small voice.

"I heard that." Taehyung turns to you. "You guys coming?"

You lie back. "Nah." Then, you look at Yoongi, who looks back. "We'll stay."

The gray-haired boy smiles a little, but clears his throat and looks away. "I think Hoseok's still asleep..."

"On the couch." Namjoon confirms, getting up and fixing his sweatshirt that has annoyingly ridden up his stomach. "And he has been for the past three hours."

"Well, then." Jungkook opens the door, shrugging.

The door closes softly.

You shift on your side, and when you look up, Yoongi's eyes are already on you. Soft. Wide. Unnerving.

"You okay?"

You pause, hesitating before you let your head fall back on the mattress. "I think so."

He sighs, but it's not a sad one - it encompasses all, confusion and awkwardness and sweetness. Like sugar. Like Suga. "You wanna go to that café?"

A nod. "Yes, please."

"Okay." He grins widely, a loud yet toned down show of his gums and teeth. You feel like a dentist as you stare. "We won't tell the others."

"Okay."

|

Joshua's smile is uncomfortable but not hesitating, unsure but not unwelcome. His fingers play with each other at the front of his stained apron, and he looks at you with raised, wondrous eyebrows. "Can I get you guys something?"

"An Americano for me." Suga leans back in his chair, and offers the barista a friendly smile. Then he turns to you. "The usual?"

"Hot chocolate." You confirm, nodding, and the brunet pulls one last, awkward smile before walking off. Slowly, your eyes turn to the boy opposite you.

The interior is warm and toasty, and you're glad about that as you look out the glass doors into the street, with snow flakes floating down like the soft down of a bed. It must be so cold.

"I realised that," Your attention is pulled back to Yoongi he starts speaking, not sounding awkward, but as if he is unsure whether or not to speak. "That we never had that conversation."

You know what he's talking about. But no. "What conversation?"

He stares at you like a student who just got called on, but then he shakes his head as he catches a glimpse of your teasing smile. "Am I, uh, am I your...your boyfriend now?"

The cringe is real.

You shrink back into your seat, not quite having expected him to speak so directly. Not sure how to answer, you stare at him dumbly, frozen.

Is he?

Of course, you should have known this was coming - since that moment in the night you called him up and confessed with excited whispers and bouncing knees. He matters a lot to you, much more than you would have thought - but boyfriend seems too weak a bond to describe what you have.

He matters too much.

His ocean blue hair, sugary sweet smiles, and what it all means to you. Boyfriend doesn't seem enough. Maybe something like soulmate or destined or something cheesy like that.

But then, your eyes flicker outside again. The snowfall is thinning out now, and it looks like a shower of feathers. And you feel better.

"I think?"

Suga's shoulders relax, and he nods. It's still awkward, and you wonder if your face reflects his expressions, too. "Okay. Okay."

"Yeah." And once again, silence reigns.

You wonder how long the drinks are going to take.

Yoongi stares at you, with that underlying embarrassment, but it's as if he hasn't realised that he's staring. He's spellbound, almost in awe as he takes in the true beauty of you, in all the hidden parts he's never noticed before. The dip of your jaw, the curve of your lips, the crinkling at the corners of your eyes as you smile.

You're smiling at him.

The realisation comes as a jolt, and he almost flinches, but then, he smiles back. He can't help it.

You lean forward.

So does he.

Your lips meet his with a slow force, thunderous but like summer rain, not too much, not too little. His mouth caresses yours softly, and his fingers tangle in yours.

It's like the touch of a feather.

It's like love.

"I got your orders - oh, holy mother-"

||

that's it. that's the last chapter.

:'') yeah. sorry if it was too much of a shock? i think it deserved that ambiguity, you know? this series needed that. you get to decide, you don't get to decide. what happens after?

life happens.

don't worry, though, there's still the epilogue left. and a little surprise ;) will you be able to bear it? lol

buT shameless self-promo time - if you want some more slice of life rom-com schist, check out my new book Third Wheeling For Dummies on my account xuxissi. it'll be much more awkward tho lol

see y'all soon <3

love,
Manx.