Operation Medicine

The back of your hand felt warm under his touch, one of the things you had missed when you had been caught up in everything else.

It was him, basically. You had missed him.

"In the beginning, there was us," Taehyung said in a narrative sort of voice, like the one at the beginning of a movie or something. "It was just two people, two friends who were perfect together and didn't need anyone else."

At the oddly nostalgic tone of his deliberately deepened voice, you smiled. "Right."

"But then, one of them announced to the world that she was gay, and then a certain blue-net-"

"Blue-net?"

"Like brunet, except with blue hair, duh," Taehyung rolls his eyes. "Anyway, a certain blue-net enters their life like God's tumbleweed, and turned everything upside down."

You snort.

"Stop interrupting me!" He scowls, smacking your hand that was previously taken in his big, warm one. "So, that happened, but that wasn't it. There was a blond who told the girl she wasn't fully gay, and turned out to be a gang member after the other best friend punched him in the face-"

"He wasn't a gang member back then, Tae," You smile, shifting so your side was pressed into his. "And plus-"

"What did I say, Y/N?" He sighs exasperatedly and exaggesratedly. "Don't interrupt me."

You smile, shaking your head. "Alright."

The two of you lay on your back on your bed - which is in your bed room, obviously - and are staring up at the stars. Not the gas balls, the glow-in-the-dark ones that you can stick on the walls. Oh, and there are miniature spaceships up there too.

You like having a whole galaxy on your ceiling. And the fan, of course.

"And then there was a playgirl, who tried to get the girl best friend but then left her for a prettier brunet," You giggle at that, "and then the blond dude left the girl and then came back with his entire gang but the girl kicked him out because he was on her home turf. The end."

His hand overlaps yours, and you miss him even though he's right next to you.

"You missed something." You whisper.

The gray-haired boy hums thoughtfully. "The other best friend got a boyfriend on the way?"

You shake your head no, even though he can't see. "You forgot Hoseok and Mr. Oh."

"Right." It seems like a small thing, but the thought is mutual, unspoken. Everyone is counted.

You both lay in silence for a few moments, quietly absorbed in thoughts that both of you share.

"It's weird, isn't it?" You wonder aloud. "We've technically been together ever since the whole mess started, but we haven't been together together."

His curly ash hair brushes your temple as he nods. "It's weird."

It's quiet again after that.

"Y/N," Taehyung says again, hesitantly this time, as if he was trying to console a child who had dropped his lollipop, "you did the right thing. I know you're still upset about that blond, but you handled it well."

"I don't know." You say truthfully, because you don't. "Maybe I made the wrong decision-"

"I don't think so." He says softly. "Y/N, I know you cared - care - about him, but sometimes you have to let people go. Sometimes, even if you love them, you come first."

You don't say anything, simply because you don't know what to say.

"See - people you love, even if they love you back, aren't always keepable." He turns, so he's laying on his side, facing you. "Like sometimes, you have to give your dog away. I know that bastard wasn't comparable to a dog, but he was a bastard. You're better off without him."

Rolling your eyes, you turn your face to his. "Does it kill you to use his name?"

"I used his name." He raises an eyebrow. "Bastard."

"It kills you, then." You sigh. "I am better off - I know that - but I still don't feel like I'm better off. It still feels like a....like an unbalanced decision."

His hand lets go of your hand, he props his head up with it, and then takes your hand in his other one. "Imagine it's medicine or something, that really bitter type no one likes. It'll take some time to work completely, and you'll be okay."

You smile, and close your eyes. "I hope so."

"I know so."

"Mhm." You feel sleepy, suddenly, but you welcome the tiredness and impending sleep to distract you from your train of thoughts. "I know you do."

"I know I do too." Warm fingers ease into your hair, massages your scalp in long, soothing strokes, and your consciousness floats away from you like a petal drifting on water. "When you wake up, the medicine will have worked already."

That's what mom said, you want to say, but you're almost asleep.

Taehyung's hands are light on your skin, like the touch of a feather.

|

i really missed the double gay best friends lmao. this moment makes me really soft omg ❤

a little warning - buckle up your seatbelts.