Chapter Seven

I guess things work a lot better when you talk things through.

The first step for Paul to get his life back on track –the best way he knew how- was to clean his house. I offered to help in any way, he accepted, and it was a bit different atmosphere once we began talking.

He told me about how he inherited the house from his grandma after his father practically left him to fend for himself. He started taking care of himself at a young age, so independence wasn't anything new for him. He was sure that it was enough for Rachel, for him to take care of her the way he wanted to, but somehow he was giving the shitty hand of the deck.

He also mentioned his dad was deadbeat according to him, but at least he stayed. He never knew his mom, and his grandma passed before he reached his teens.

It saddened me to hear that all of his life he had been rejected. I could relate, but not to that degree. He wasn't even sure if he had any siblings, and he admitted that he didn't want to know. If his dad was somewhere out there raising another family, he didn't want to get to know them.

The man was seriously damaged.

He then asked about me, and how I grew up blindly in the supernatural world until one day I accidentally shattered a table full of science beakers. I didn't know it was me at the time, just that something freaky was going on at Mystic High.

I told him how I was always told that my parents were killed in a car accident -only to eventually find out that vampires murdered them.

My hatred of vampires grew, and coincidentally, those vampires returned, and I made it my attempt to get rid of them in any way possible. But they were seeking out my help to go against one of their enemies. That's when shit got weird. And that's when Tyler came into my life.

I explained that Tyler was a wolf too, somewhat a shapeshifter, but mostly a child of the moon, or more like a slave to the moon. He didn't look like a werewolf, but an actual wolf. He could only change under the full moon and was making the effort to shift at any time that he could. But it all summed up to him being cursed. I explained how Tyler had to kill an innocent in order to embrace his heritage. Because Tyler had been so angry and clumsy, it happened when he took the life of some desperate girl trying to get in his pants.

I guess Paul could see the jealousy seething off of me. He actually smirked and laughed to himself.

When he asked about the vampires back in Mystic Falls, I had to admit that there were some differences, but it all summed up to being bitten to be changed. A bite always triggers it, whether a vampire feeding or is aiming to, eventually, a human can become one, unless a vampire who is strong enough, removes the venom themselves.

I hated vampires; I made it clear to him too. That was one thing that we agreed on. That's when he began telling me about how Jacob imprinting on a hybrid all started.

"Her name was Isabella Swan, police chief's daughter, and all-around shit-stirrer." He explained in a disgusted tone. "I knew she was trouble from the beginning, and I told Sam too. But we couldn't ban a human from the reservation, so no one could stop anyone from interacting with her. So I tried my best to ignore her, and it was easy in the beginning, that was until Jacob started bringing her around. All because she lost her pathetic leech boyfriend."

"Leech boyfriend?"

"She started dating one of the Cullen's kids, who she discovered was a vampire." He explained.

"And she still dated the guy knowing the risks."

"I knew she was stupid and desperate from the beginning." He spoke with anger.