Chapter Nineteen

I never felt so helpless -so powerless, so useless.

Never in my existence have I ever faced a predicament where practically everything was rendered inadequate. I'm accustomed to having some source of energy to help me figure things out, but now it seemed if that disappeared as well. I couldn't summon the spirits or any source of magic. I would stare at my palms in hopes that something might happen.

Paul looked at me as if I was crazy most of the time. I still call him Paul. I don't know what else to call him other than Paul's wolf. At least I know for sure that this wolf is the exact replica of the wolf Paul changes into, but I can prove that this is the man that I love. He sure seems fond of me, which doesn't make much sense.

At least the moment he had arrived I haven't felt entirely alone. It was as if he was watching over me. That's what made me convinced that Paul was in there somewhere, and gave me hope that I might get to see him again –at least I hoped.

With my every effort, I didn't seem to be getting anywhere. I tried summoning the spirits, but nothing happened. I tried calling upon my powers, but nothing would budge or move. I felt trapped that I couldn't seem to do anything to help.

This place was terrifying at most. I couldn't sleep much because I found myself waking up from my nightmares of being stuck here for an eternity before someone found me; this even made me try harder.

Still -nothing.

As I found myself wandering off to look for life, Paul followed me without hesitance. I couldn't stay at the place that reminded me so much of what I lost, or what I been through. I had to move on to someplace where I was sure could be better than this.

The roads were empty — a few vehicles abandoned on the sides -weeds and shrubs growing through them. The highway began to crack and look like something out of apocalypse movie. I was starting to wish something might even pop out to make me believe that I had a chance, but that hadn't happened.

I continued, and Paul continued to follow me with his tongue hanging out, trotting next to me as if he hadn't a care in the world. It made me wonder what was going through his head, and if he was the bit of the slightest worried about us. There had to be a reason he was here with me, and there had to be a reason I was looking for something. I had to believe that.

In that instant, it felt as if everything changed at that moment. First thing I noticed was Paul's reaction, how he quickly stood next to me, on guard. I leaned in closer and stared in the direction he was looking, not seeing a thing. But that didn't stop him from snarling and growling as if we were in danger.

"What is it?" I whispered to him, expecting some answer.

Without hesitation, he began to nudge me and push me in the opposite direction. Rather than argue with him, I let him lead me to an abandoned truck where he made me hide between the massive tree and the small opening where the rear tire should've been. I quietly asked him again, but he gave me a saddened look before sneaking back around the truck.

It made me want to take back about wishing something would appear. Something was out there, and I couldn't do anything. I had to wait, and it felt as if I waited longer than I wanted to. I tried listening for something, but it was dead silence in the air.

I worried for Paul more than ever. It had to be over fifteen minutes, and I still had no clue what could be happening. I had to do something. But Paul didn't want me to move. As much as I tried to ignore him, something told me that I should be at least listening to him by now. That was until I hear the horrifying shriek coming from the same direction Paul went.

I had to do something.

So I did.

In a quick second, I found myself moving before I could stop myself, and in the same direction where I could hope to see Paul. This time it was a howl I that echoed, and I knew Paul was up against something, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to know what exactly that something was. But I would soon find out just as the shrieking roar came again.