Chapter Nine

Not much had changed here.

Other than the absence of Mr. Lockwood, it was as if it was the time I was here.

The two stairwells side-by-side that led straight up to the second floor; the living area to my left -dining area to my right -the fancy drapes that hung on the  windows -the odd trinkets that sat on the fancy mahogany side tables, and the family photo that had hung above the opening to the lounge -all decorated by Tyler's mother.

I hadn't realized Tyler had left and returned with a glass of wine for me, and a whiskey for him, ushering me to follow him to the den area next to his father's office. I've been there once or twice when he needed to talk to me privately, so I wasn't sure just how personal things were going to get once he started talking.

He placed his glass down on the side table next to the sofa chair he sat in. I seated myself further from him at the end of the sofa-chair. I figured I'd occupy myself by looking around the room, focusing on the books on the shelves along with small stone statues. The curtains opened to the garden out in the back. A small coffee table separated him from me -empty whiskey bottles and drink glasses sat across the table

"How've ya been?" He almost mumbled, taking a sip of his whiskey.

I turned my gaze to him, giving him a half-smile before replying quietly, "Fine. Could be better."

"Better than dead?" He asked almost sarcastically.

I glared. "I guess you could say that."

"I thought you were." He said more serious now as he leaned forward, his hands clasped together in front of him.

"I  was supposed to be." I replied with a shrug "I didn't want anyone to know because it just seemed better this way. I could finally move on with my life."

"From what? You'll always be what you are Brandon." His tone began to change.

"Apparently not." I replied with annoyance, "the moment I died and came back, I came back as a nothing. I lost everything. I had to go. I needed to."

"I could've helped you this time Brandon." He argued.

"No you couldn't have Tyler," I argued back, "not when you were far too into keeping your reputation intact. You'd soon put my life at risk just as Klaus would for vengeance. I would never amount to anything."

"That's bullshit Brandon and you know it." He said angered.

"No, it's not." I replied upset, "so many times I've been put on the back burner; only summoned when needed. I guarantee my absence was unknown until everyone realized that Bonnie was riding solo. I get it now though, Bonnie is the only witch needed here, which is why I left. I just... I ended up in the wrong direction."

"I've always cared about you Brandon, I've said it more than once." He added.

"But you were never always sure Tyler." I stated, "every time it came down to decisions, you couldn't make them. I always knew your choices. I could take care of myself because I was who I was, but you never once asked me if I would be. You'd often run off and expect me to be waiting for you every time. I wasn't having any of that. I grew tired of it  all."

"Because I knew that you never needed me. I always thought that you were too good for me. It was just easier to let you believe I didn't care at times because I had hoped you'd find someone who could  treat you better."

"That's bullshit Tyler." I scowled.

"Is it?" He asked, "I'm a fucking mess Brandon, always have been. I could never understand what you really saw in me to stay. It was easier to push you away because I wasn't worth saving. I just did it the wrong way I guess."