Chapter Thirteen

Things were moving too fast, though I couldn't admit it to Paul.

We were caught in the moment. I was a fool to let it slip so fast, but Paul made it so easy. Maybe he was a changed man?

Everything he said and everything he did was out of the kindness of his heart. He wore his on his sleeve, and yet mine still had a brick wall around it, slowly falling into pieces with every action he had done -every word he spoke, I couldn't help but fall hopelessly into his arms.

When we arrived at his house, he even carried me on his back without question. As awkward as it was, I couldn't find myself to get down until he brought me inside and raced to turn on the lights and rush down the hallway. I stood at the doorway, soaked and cold from the rain, he returned with a towel and a pair of joggers and a t-shirt that was a bit big for even me.

"Bathroom is down the hallway, first door on the left. " Paul informed me as he left once again.

I nodded and made my way down the hallway.

Once I entered the bathroom, I grabbed my phone to text Bonnie, but the thing died and ended up just as soaked as I was.

After drying my hair and my body, I pulled on the baggy clothes and gathered my wet clothes and made my way back to the living area where Paul was packing in a few blocks of wood to get the fire going. He hadn't said a word but smiled as I sat on the couch where he told me I could cover up with the blanket.

"Do you have a phone I can use?" I asked before he went back outside, "I should call Bonnie and aunt Tiffany before they worry."

"Yeah, in the kitchen on the wall." He pointed in the direction.

As I dialed, I come to realize that it was the same place as before, but much cleaner and a bit empty. Paul had a TV, couch, and a recliner in the living area. The walls were bare, the table sat in the middle of the dining room, unused and a bit dusty

"Hello?" Bonnie answered.

"Hey, it's me!" I said.

"Where are you? I was beginning to worry since you hadn't answered your phone." She spoke a mile a minute, "how come you're not answering your phone?"

"I'm at Paul's." I replied, trying to whisper in the receiver, "my phone is dead, I'm guessing the rain had something to do with it since the stupid thing was soaked."

"Are you coming home tonight?" She asked.

"No, I don't think so." I replied a bit nervous, "I told Paul I'd spend the night."

"Is that a good idea?" she asked unsurely.

"I don't know," I admitted, "but if you need me, you guys know where to find me."

"Okay, be safe!" She giggled.

"Ugh, you're sick, Bon," I laughed.

"That's not what I meant," she fended, "but now that you mentioned it."

"Goodnight." I interrupted.

"Goodnight B, love you." She chirped.

"Love you too."

By then, Paul had already started the fire in the fireplace. It didn't take a genius to know that he hardly used that either. I was beginning to think that Paul was barely here himself. The place almost seemed like it had were abandoned, only used when the time was needed.

"You should be warm soon enough." He informed, now taking off his jacket and his boots. "I'll be back in a minute."

"Sure." I smiled, sitting on the couch again and wrapping the blanket around me as I watched the flames slowly dance in the fireplace.