Ice Pick

We were in PE, doing rock climbing. I was kinda nervous since I'm not exactly what you'd call athletic or strong, even. Scott and Allison were up, having a little conversation as they climbed. I chuckled at the two. They weren't supposed to be seeing each other, but from what they both tell me, they find another way to be together.

Stiles stood beside me, his arm brushing against mine. The hairs on my skin stood up at his touch, and a smile grew on my face.

Stiles looked down at me and chuckled.

"You look like a tomato." He said.

Mockingly laughing along with him, I turned back to watch Allison and Scott. Watching as Allison pushed Scott off, causing him to fall to the mat below him. The class erupted in laughs as Coach taunted him.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Stiles said.

I turned to look at him. "Sure. What's up?"

"Uh, well," he started. "You know, I mean, we've, uh, kissed a couple times, and..."

I stared at him as I had a feeling of where this was going. He avoided my gaze as he rambled.

"I guess you could say we went on a date that night after stopping Peter and Melissa. So, I guess, what I'm trying to say is..."

He finally looked me in the eye, but our conversation was cut short as Coach called him and a girl named Erica to climb the wall. Stiles had obvious frustration from the interruption, so he channeled that and was able to climb all the way up the wall and fall back down within 30 seconds. He turned around and held his arms up in victory, but when I looked behind him, I noticed that Erica had stopped and was shaking.

I stepped forward onto the mat. "Erica?"

Coach and several other students joined me and watched the girl as she shook.

"Erica!" Coach called. "Dizzy? Is it vertigo?"

Lydia scoffed from beside him. "Vertigo's a dysfunction of the vestibular system of the inner ear. She's just freaking out!"

"Erica." I called gently.

"I-I'm fine." She called without looking down at the students crowding the mat below her.

"Coach, maybe it's not safe. You know she's epileptic." Allison pointed out.

Coach's eyes widened. "Why does no one tell me these things?"

He turned back to Erica. "Erica, you're fine. Just kick off from the wall. There's a mat here to catch you."

Erica just stood still for a moment before slowly letting herself fall to the mat, landing on her feet as her harness gently let her down.

I walked forward and helped her unclip her harness as Coach repeatedly reminded her she was fine. She looked up at me and I gave her a small smile.

She swiftly turned away and began to walk through the crowd of students, holding back tears as they laughed and snickered at her. I felt very bad for her. It's not her fault she's epileptic.

~

I walked into the girls' locker room with Allison and Lydia, starting to take off my gym gear.

"I feel bad for Erica." I said as I lifted my shirt over my head. "No one should feel the way she does."

"Maybe we could talk to her?" Allison suggested. "I don't think she has many friends."