Currents

I ran down the hallway of the hospital, dodging people as fast as I could to get to the lobby.

"Does anyone know where Dr. Hilyard is?!" I heard Melissa yell as I rounded the corner.

She removed her gloved hands from a patient's wound and turned to me when I approached her.

"Mr. Johnson is in stable condition in room 417, and Miss Gilmore is ready for treatment." I announced to her. "3 more patients are currently in Check-up."

She let out a sigh of relief and placed both her hands on my arms. "You are a life saver."

"How many are there?" I asked her as I pulled the clipboard to my chest.

She shrugged. "Hard to say. Right now, I'd assume around 27 or so, but they just keep coming."

I nodded, and shifted my eyes when I saw Scott walking through the door. I gestured to Melissa, and she turned around to see her son. Scott held up the bag of dinner he had brought for her and she allowed a small smile to grow on her face.

"Oh, thank god." She said as she grabbed the meal from him. "I'm starving."

She turned around and got ready to open her bag, before she stopped herself and turned back around.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." She apologized to her son. "Thank you for bringing me dinner."

They lovingly embraced one another, and when they pulled away, I jokingly crossed my arms.

"Where's my dinner?" I sassed.

They both smiled as they knew I was kidding, but Scott reached into his pocket and pulled out [favorite candy]. My eyes widened and I smiled like I little kid as I grabbed it from him.

"Thanks, Scotty!" I squealed before I jumped on my toes and pressed a friendly kiss on the cheek.

He chuckled at my antics before turning back to his mom. "Is everything okay?"

"Except for half the accident victims in a ten car pile-up being rerouted here from downtown, and the ER attending not answering any of his pages, yeah, I'm okay." Melissa answered sarcastically.

Scott squinted. "What does not answering pages mean?"

"Means nobody can find him." I answered with some of the candy stuffed in my cheeks. "Now we gotta wait for the on-call to get here."

"Miss?" A lady clutching her side in pain said as she approached Melissa. "Excuse me, can I please have something for the pain?"

"Okay, I'm sorry, I know. But, actually, giving you something could complicate things." Melissa answered her sadly before escorting her to a waiting seat.

Scott watched the woman who continued to grimace, and I bit my lip as my heart ached for her. I finished chewing my candy and turned to the nurse at the reception.

"How much longer on Dr. Hilyard?" I asked.

"Ten minutes." She told me with the phone pressed to her ear.

I nodded, and looked around as doctors and nurses frantically attended to patients, patients sitting in waiting chairs, some with blood on certain spots of their bodies. It was sad to look at.

I noticed Scott was no longer standing beside me, and looked over to see him sitting next to the woman Melissa had just spoke to.

I watched as he reached over and gently placed his hand on top of the fist that laid on her thigh. I saw his veins turn black, and within a moment, the woman's fist released and she gasped with relief.