Ten

I was at the back of the library reading a novel I had borrowed from Abike when someone dropped down beside me, from his cologne I could tell it was Rasheed.

'I know you said you wouldn't participate but you could at least come watch'. He said.
'I'm tired of explaining my noninvolvement. I have attended everyday except today, I'm sure no one misses me'.
I flicked a page.

'I missed you. There was no one to explain things to me'.
I chuckled.
'You know nothing about sports, why do you even bother?'
'It's fun to watch'.
'It still feels strange to hear you talk about fun'. I teased.
'Well, since you decided to turn to books I thought we'd switch roles. You handle the books while I deal with sports. What are you reading by the way?'

He turned the book in my hand to the cover page and read the name out loud. 'Last Days at Forcados High'.
He nodded and turned back to the page I had been reading.
I went back to reading and he just sat there quietly for a few moments.

'You know, you remind me of Efua'. He said and I scoffed.
'I'm serious. You two are alike with your mysteriously delicate beauty'.
'Wawu, Rasheed with the lines. At this rate you'll be able to get Becca sooner than expected'.
'Haha, very funny Amanda'. He said sarcastically but a smile was tugging on his face.

'Whatever. Efua is brainy though and I am a birdbrain'.
'True that'. He agreed without looking at me. I punched his shoulder.
'You lobster! You were supposed to say something nice and make me feel better'.
'You didn't let me finish'. He rubbed the spot I had punched.

'Okay?'
'For punching me, you've lost your compliment'.
'Whatever rat shit'. He gasped theatrically and grasped his chest.
'You too have joined them? You break my heart, Amanda Okoye'.

When he called me that name I remembered my mom. She had decided it would be better if I bore her name and not my father's. She didn't want me carrying a murderer's name with me. My father was never found and knowing the country's security system, I'm sure the case had been closed ages ago.

I still didn't understand how he could kill his own mother, yes they quarreled all the time but Iya would've stood by him if he had the whole world against him. They say no one can love you more than your mother, you can say I'm not exactly a believer of that theory.

These days I think of Alade more frequently, if only I could see him, I'd do almost anything to benefit from his wise counsel right now.

'You are doing it again'. Rasheed said, successfully dragging me out of my thoughts.
'Doing what?'
'Ignoring me and giving attention to your little friends in your head'.
'My demons'. I whispered but apparently he heard it since he smiled but said nothing. That was the thing I liked most about him; his ability to let things slide.
The bell rang indicating the end of sports break.

'See you at study hour'. Rasheed said as we got up.
'Oh and come with your maths book, we have to win this battle against Ms Nancy'. He added before dashing off in the direction of his dorm.

        Ms Nancy had been a major pain in my ass since the beginning of the term. She did not waste any opportunity to prove my worthlessness to my already aware classmates.

According to Rasheed, I was doing well enough in other subjects but if I failed maths I'd still be demoted. I tried to concentrate more in her classes but the permanent scowl in her face like there was a bug residing in her private area didn't make it easy.

Abike always talked about hating the teacher and loving the subject. I don't think anyone even likes maths. Aside Rasheed who would die for it more willingly than he would for Becca. He would never admit it but he had a crush on Becca, I didn't know how big it was but it was nauseating. One man's food is another's poison, right?