Twenty Eight

Sorry for ghosting you guys😣

Things were a little too different for comfort. The mock examinations had began and while we were all stressed, I felt I had more causants than most. For one, my friends and I never studied together as we'd normally do. Our room was filled with a slight tension that only only intensified when we were silent and trying to concentrate.

Vivian studied with Tolu, the talkative because she didn't trust herself to remain quiet and not address things between us which wasn't a bad idea, fuelling misunderstandings wouldn't have been good at the moment. Abike ignored everything, she could've been immune to the awkwardness because she had so much class work to catch up on and practicals to learn.

Henrietta was basically a ghost, to me at least, she was only in the room when she needed to be and disappeared whenever I decided to study there. Rasheed was my go-to study partner but studying together had become hard since he couldn't go twenty minutes without questioning me about Marcel.

           Even outside study hours, I spent most of my free time in the classroom studying. Most times I was alone but a few people joined sometimes, one of them was Marcel. He was never a bother, we usually studied quietly except the few times I had him explain something to me.

"Why do St. Paul have so many teachings?" He asked from beside me at our seat in combo class.
"I think he was a scholar or something".
"Isn't he the converted persecutor? Maybe he just felt an extra need to prove himself".
"Or he had a deeper understanding of life and righteousness after living a vain life for so long".

CRK was one of those subjects I had real interest in.
"If only Mr. Okon was like Paul".
"He'd have to give up his vain life first". We laughed lightly, gaining glances from the other three students in the room.

Our CRK teacher was rumored to be a disowned son of a pastor. More than once he'd be caught shamelessly ogling at girls buttocks. He was your plug if you needed to smuggle in contraband but he was good enough in the classroom and managed to fool Ms. Flora with his bow ties and clean shave.

        Every examination was a surprise with different invigilators and syndicates trooping in and out, trying to cajoole us into paying for answers and the freedom to do whatever we wanted without supervision but this was Apex secondary school, a school for the seven percent, we weren't going to insult our teachers and the entire management board by succumbing to examination malpractice.

Apex was known for producing academically independent students and that was what we all strived to be. The exams weren't easy but they weren't as difficult as everyone said they would be.

Everyday, I entered the hall a little less anxious and  a bit more confident. Sir. Dom said I was showing overall improvement, my teachers agreed, so did I. I wasn't an A-Student but I wasn't finding it as hard to comprehend things as I used to.

      Ms. Flora hadn't wanted to send us home after our examinations because the term was hardly over but without anymore syllabus to cover, we spent the majority of our time noisily distracting the rest of the student body who were preparing for their forthcoming exams so she was forced to let us go.

Mrs. Dapo was there to pick us but this time it wasn't just Abike and I. Marcel had insisted on using public transportation but no one argues with Mrs. Dapo. Abike was quick to climb into the backseat and I wasted no time in joining her. Marcel caste us an incredulous look when he realized he was stuck in the front seat with the woman.

"Fasten your seatbelt". She instructed and he obeyed swiftly with Abike and I secretly laughing at his nervousness.
Bike's mom paid us no mind until she had bid farewell to the security guards and we were out the gate.