Twenty Seven

Abike wasn't back until visiting day. I missed her more than I should have mostly because Henrietta who was supposed to be our ray of sunshine was slowly turning into a gloomy cloud. She always seemed to be on high alert, waiting for us to say anything against the love of her life. His name had become an anthem in our room, she'd always sing his praises in an attempt to determine Vivian and I from our doubtful concepts of him but if was obvious to everyone but her that Chris Lawal was no knight.

Mrs. Dapo rode into the school compound in the late hours of the morning. We all ran out to welcome our friend who appeared to have added a lot more weight but couldn't be happier to see us.

"Bike!" Mrs. Dapo scolded when Abike began jumping around with Hen.
"Good day Ma". Vivian greeted
"Ehen my dear". She patted her on the shoulder. "How have you girls been?"
"Fine ma". We all replied.
"Amanda. Your mother gave me something for you and Kunle's son".
She opened the backdoor and got out two polyethylene bags.

"They would have been here but they had a commitment in church".
I was surprised to hear that they weren't deviating from their spiritual highway.
"Thank you, aunty". I said as I took the bags from her.

"Can you girls help Abike with her bags?  I'm going to see the principal to talk about excluding from manual labor for the time being, preferably until you graduate".
"I'm not going to be handicapped for the rest of my life". Abike stated.
"Will you keep quiet? If not for that your mock exams that is compulsory for some reason, I'd make sure you remain at home".

"It's a state examination, mommy".
"Is WAEC not enough? Not all states are conducting it".
Abike sighed in frustration, the past month must have been hell for her with her mom watching over her like a hawk, she had taken a leave from work so she could properly babysit her only child.

"Let me go and see your principal. Do you need anything else?" Abike shook her head.
"Take care of yourself, eat oh. I want your body to come back". We all looked at Abike before sharing knowing smiles.
"I've heard you. Bye-bye". She began walking away, leaving us to carry her things and wave her mom goodbye.

"Vivian". We heard someone call as we were ascending the administrative block.
"Mommy". Vivian smiled and went to greet her parents.
Henrietta hadn't been right about them but she wasn't entirely wrong. Her mom had a sense of masculinity to her and she had a resemblance to her husband that made them appear like siblings. I guess that's what happens when you live with someone for too long.

        She ushered them to a small cluster of seats while the rest of us sat with some of our classmates who were welcoming Abike.
"Can I see the wound?" Tolu asked and a few of our mates back him.
"Absolutely not".
I had a junior student take Marcel's parcel to him in his hostel and just sat there watching parents siblings troop in and out of the compound in expensive looking cars. Only a few came on foot.

Becca had a table brought out for herself and her parents and stationed on it was a wide 3tier food flask that had been dismantled to display the food whose aroma we'd never be able to forget. Her father adoringly watched as she and her mother chatted and laughed like best friends. She was fully engrossed in her family, she didn't pay mind to anyone.

From the corner of my eye I saw Vivian's mother rise swiftly, her father reluctantly followed suit but Vivian remained seated, staring ahead of herself but not at them. Her mother looked like she had a lot she wanted to say but swallowed it down and stormed off with her husband in tow.

"I don't think it went well". Henrietta said as we approached her.
"Hey. How did it go?" I placed a hand on her shoulder and she looked up at me with blazing eyes that she was trying to tame.
"Meet my family's newest embarrassment".
Abike sighed heavily and rolled her eyes, we had whispered a bit of the story to her already.

"You could never be an embarrassment even if you tried, their dimwitted thinking is what's embarrassing".
Vivian rose with a chuckle.
"I'm really glad to have you back, Bike. See you girls back at the room". She started walking away.
"What? Aren't you coming with us?"
"I have to go off and do some deep thinking and soul searching. Mommy's advice".

"She's definitely going to hide and cry". Hen said as she disappeared from our sight.
"I'd like to see that". Abike admitted.
"Who wouldn't?"

                We returned to our room with Abike and her properties. She had too many stories to tell and too many people trooping in to welcome her, thankfully no one was asking to see the scar anymore.
We didn't see Vivian dinner or games, she returned to the room after lights out when both Abike and Henrietta were asleep.

"Find your soul yet?" I asked as she got into her night clothes.
"I don't think I have one but if I do then it's definitely not within the four walls of this school". She scrunched her face in fake thought before sharing small giggles with me for a while.
"Seriously sha, are you okay?"

She turned to me after successfully climbing up to her bed without waking Hen.
"I'm not changing classes". It could have as well been a verdict because she wasn't going back on it.

                                                 ***
          It was the first combo class of the week and for the first time that day, everyone appeared to be paying attention. Psychology class was usually like that, even more so when Sir. Dom was handing back our graded assignments. Everyone appeared to have gotten their papers except me.

"Amanda Okorie". He called and I walked to the front of the class to get my sheet.
He handed it over then said;
"Read it to the class". I felt my palms begin to moisten.
"Can she read?" Becca's statement wasn't intended to be a whisper.
"Go on Amanda, we are waiting".

I turned towards the class and glanced at my mates. The majority of them looked very interested finding out where this was headed. I took a deep breath and stared at the paper, it wasn't even graded.
"Bigotry". For the first time ever, I hated how deep sounding my voice was.
I took another deep breath and decided to just do it.

"A bigot is someone who is intolerant of any opinion which differs from theirs. Surprisingly, we all tend to practice bigotry frequently in our daily lives. In school, at home, even in church. The fact that you don't believe in a particular theory, principle or belief doesn't make it wrong and most importantly doesn't mean every other person shouldn't believe in them as well. Everyone has a right to freedom of opinion. If you don't understand a thing, don't criticize it. Rather, ask questions and try to see things from other angles......"

The class was too quiet at the time I finished reading, I kept my gaze down and didn't try to look at anyone. The laughter had to be on its way.

"Aren't you all going to clap for her?"
The class erupted in claps at Sir Son's question and I felt myself relax.
"You can return to your seat, Amanda. You got the full mark".

Henrietta gave me a not so subtle thumbs up as I passed her seat and Marcel was already smiling when I got to ours. Vivian was staring at me with a neutral express, some part of the paper had admittedly been inspired by the situation with her parents.

"I asked you all to write on any topic relating to bullying and you all did well but I was drawn to Amanda's work because of a line that I don't want any of you to forget; Do not criticize what you do not understand".

The bell rang and Sir. Dom started packing up his things but Ms. Nancy was already at the door so she walked in, all smiles. She dumped her huge textbook on the table, flipped her hair and flashed Sir. Dom a very rare grin which he returned with an awkward smile.

"How does she not get the hint?" Marcel asked beside me, looking a bit contemplative.
I looked back to the front of the class to see our Maths teacher waving at Sir. Dom's back.
"Don't criticize what you don't understand".
He turned to me.

"I'd really like to understand".

--------------------------------------------------------
Super sorry for the lack of an update yesterday, my battery was dead.( I told you guys not to get used to it anyways).
Bit dull? I know
Better chapters upfront, promise