Thirty Nine

Final chapter😢

        Beeping, distant shuffles and the rustling of pages; those were the sounds I woke up to. The beeping got louder and as I craned my neck to the side, I saw it was coming from some sort of machine that was connected to my index finger. The only other bed in the room was empty. A repeat of the rustling sound caused me to look to the right. Seated there was Marcel, in casual clothes, reading a book.

"What are you doing here?"
He looked up in surprise but was smiling within seconds.
"Watching over you and reading a pretty good book".
I was curious about the book but more so on a different matter.

"What of school?"
"Ms. Flora let me go. She couldn't keep a brother away from his sick sister". He smirked.
Of course she let him come. Anything for her star student of the year.
"Brother?" He sighed, a little of his confidence fleeing his eyes.

"I know, a pretty bad one but I aim to do better henceforth. I burnt the book".
I knew the book he was talking about, the one he got me for Christmas that I had avoided looking at since that day.
"Why?"
"I don't want you to live with the memories that come with it".

The memories couldn't be burnt away from my mind but it was the thought that counted.
"That was very thoughtful of you, Wurade. I'm impressed".
He smiled.
"There is more. I got you a new one".

"With my money, at a bookstore". He added as he saw my mouth begin to move.
"I didn't want you to miss out on the story because of my foolishness".
"So far, so good on the brother train". I said and he chuckled.

"I'm really sorry Amanda, for everything you had to go through. Henrietta asked me to apologize on her behalf too. She even wrote you a letter, they all did".
"They know about the operation?"
"Yeah. Dad had told Ms. Flora, she told me and I told the girls, Rasheed too". He looked sheepish.

"It's okay, saves me the stress of telling them myself".
He nodded.
"Yeah. Plus the ignorance was bothering them".
We were silent for a while but it wasn't uncomfortable. We were just basking in the after feel of having a weight taken off our shoulders.

"How do you feel? I think I'm supposed to have called someone". He stood up and left the room.
I felt a little weak and sore in my bones and could feel an incoming headache but aside all that, I was okay and with Marcel not there to keep me occupied, I began to worry about my mom. How was she doing?

"Ayo mi". My eyes snapped to the door that he just walked through. He looked the same generally, thick white hair and wiry glasses.
"Alade". I jerked up and his eyes widened.
"Lay back down! This child, you've just had surgery". I obeyed as he got to the bed and took a seat beside me.

"My strong child". He stroked my cheek and I closed my eyes, savoring the warmth that his touch provided.
I had a new home now, a budding family and great friends but Alade, he was my first home, the first person to make me feel safe and wanted and that was never going to change.

"Baba". He smiled.
"Aramide. How are you feeling?" I missed being called that.
"I'm fine".
"Akin. You've grown so much, your mother is a lucky woman".

I was about to ask after her when Kunle walked in with Marcel and a nurse who smiled at me before eyeing the machine connected to me and jotting in his notepad.
"Okay, Amanda. I'm just going to check your vitals". He said and Alade moved to the side to give him room.

He pulled out a thermometer and had me place it in my armpit. He took it out when a quiet beeping began and recorded the results in his file. He checked my blood pressure next, recorded that too, then smiled.
"Everything looks fine. We'll have her overnight for observation and if that goes smoothly, she'll be free to go tomorrow".

"I thought she'd be discharged today". Kunle said.
"It's protocol. Moving around won't help her regain her strength or the headache she must be having".
Kunle beckoned him outside so they could talk in private. He rejoined us in a minute and smiled weakly at me. The whole thing must have taken a toll on him as well.

"Hungry" He asked.
"Nauseous actually. How is mom?"
"Your mother is fine, Amanda".
"Did it work?"
"It's too early to tell. The process will take some time but it's going to be fine, have some faith".
Maybe my faith wasn't sufficient but I had hope, a lot of it.

"Can I see her?"
"You heard the nurse, you have to regain your strength". Alade said.
"Don't worry, she'll be free to go soon". Kunle tried to assure me.
"How soon?"
"Try not to think about that".
"What about school?"

"Relax browny, school isn't going anywhere. Take it a day at a time". Marcel took his previous seat and I nodded.
One day at a time, I could do that, I knew how to do that.
"I'm coming". Kunle said and left the room.
I turned to Alade and smiled.

"Baba, I'm sorry for not calling all this while. How have you been?"
"I've been managing. Suliat helps out a lot even though I've told her to concentrate on school and exams, I can take care of myself".
I laughed.
"How is Suliat?" Maybe I can see her before I leave town.

"Well, at least she is not pregnant like most of your old friends".
"Pregnant would be a good look on you, browny. I can picture it right now, you in a bed like this, cradling your baby". Marcel joked.
"I'm tired of asking you to shut up". Alade told him and I frowned in confusion.

"Your grandfather and I bonded in the waiting room, he adores me, as you can tell". Marcel explained and Alade sighed.
"How do you manage with him?" He asked.
"I ignore him most of the time. Food keeps him occupied too".
We laughed at a pouting Marcel who soon joined us.

       They stayed for a long while, only leaving to get food when my stomach rumbled. Marcel left me with two envelopes, one from Henrietta and the other from all the girls. Their conjoined envelope contained a wishcard scattered with kisses and teddies and a little gist about the latest developments back in school.

It was Henrietta's letter, splattered with glitter that brought tears to my eyes.

  Hey barbie,
         I don't call you that anymore but I'll resume as
  soon as you get back because you are a real life
  barbie in every aspect. Perfect, thoughtful and
  the best friend anyone could ask for. I'm sorry for  
  taking our relationship for granted and placing a   
  very undeserving boy over my friends. I admit my 
  stupidity and promise to make up for it for the
  rest of my life by letting you use my beauty
  products, you can be my muse. I really hope I
  haven't lost you Mandy. You were right, I was too
  much of a coward to admit that I had been used
  but I would never deny the fact that you coming
  to Apex was one of the best things that ever
  happened to me.

                                                                                Hen❣️

     I had a lot, supportive friends, family and Alade. Maybe my reality wasn't as fabulous as my fantasy but it was more than enough.

THE END😭

---------------------------------------------------------
So that's it, it doesn't feel real yet.
I suck at happy endings but I just couldn't see it any other way.

But if you want an epilogue then tell me what you would like to see in the inline comment right here.

You can drop whatever questions you may have right here and if they are enough I'll make a Q/A chapter or I'll just reply them here.

More than two years guys! I want to thank everyone who started reading since 2018  and everyone who've joined the train since then, you guys have been amazing. Hope to see y'all in my other books.